Upgrading to 5.9

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

neilnewman
Ebase User

Upgrading to 5.9

Postby neilnewman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:40 am

I have just upgraded our test system to 5.9 and I am having an issue when I connect to the embedded server, I have adjusted the "Web application name" to be "ufs" which is the name of our installation: D:\Verjio\UserData\ServerTEST\apps\ufs
However when I connect I believe this is some kind of default install, because none of our database connections are there and if I look at the "System Name" it is showing "Community Edition".
Any pointers as to what I have wrong please?

NB: I also created a local user and then created an "On-Premise" server record with the following values:
http://localhost:3050/ufs
But this appeared to also only showed a couple of default database connections, strange thing is all my scheduled tasks are visible using either route.

I can see that the database definitions are still in existence within the file system under:
D:\Verjio\UserData\ServerTEST\apps\ufs\ebaseConf\databases
But they are not visible in the admin console or available within the Studio.

The license is also missing from the installation, so it must not be connecting correctly somehow to my original 5.7 installation.

Looking at some logs I found this (very long log so sample below in D:\Verjio\UserData\ServerTEST\initData.log):
Jul 29, 2020 7:37:24 AM INFO: Copying startup files from D:\Verjio\VerjioServerTEST\Server\initData to D:\Verjio\UserData\ServerTEST
Jul 29, 2020 7:37:24 AM SEVERE: Failed to copy D:\Verjio\VerjioServerTEST\Server\initData\apps\ebase\ebaseConf\databases\EBASE_SAMPLES.eb to D:\Verjio\UserData\ServerTEST\apps\logs\ebaseConf\databases\EBASE_SAMPLES.eb
java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: D:\Verjio\UserData\ServerTEST\apps\logs\ebaseConf\databases\EBASE_SAMPLES.eb
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:89)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:108)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileCopy.copy(WindowsFileCopy.java:164)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.copy(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:283)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.copy(Files.java:1299)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData.copy(CopyInitData.java:601)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData$CopyFileVisitor.visitFile(CopyInitData.java:567)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData$CopyFileVisitor.visitFile(CopyInitData.java:440)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.walkFileTree(Files.java:2804)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.walkFileTree(Files.java:2876)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData.copyRecursive(CopyInitData.java:340)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData.access$500(CopyInitData.java:15)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData$CopyFileVisitor.preVisitDirectory(CopyInitData.java:478)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData$CopyFileVisitor.preVisitDirectory(CopyInitData.java:440)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.walkFileTree(Files.java:2811)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData.copy_(CopyInitData.java:127)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData.copy(CopyInitData.java:82)
at com.ebasetech.start.TomcatBootstrap.main(TomcatBootstrap.java:39)

Jul 29, 2020 7:37:24 AM SEVERE: Failed to copy D:\Verjio\VerjioServerTEST\Server\initData\apps\ebase\ebaseConf\databases\UFS.eb to D:\Verjio\UserData\ServerTEST\apps\logs\ebaseConf\databases\UFS.eb
java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: D:\Verjio\UserData\ServerTEST\apps\logs\ebaseConf\databases\UFS.eb
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:89)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:108)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileCopy.copy(WindowsFileCopy.java:164)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.copy(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:283)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.copy(Files.java:1299)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData.copy(CopyInitData.java:601)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData$CopyFileVisitor.visitFile(CopyInitData.java:567)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData$CopyFileVisitor.visitFile(CopyInitData.java:440)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.walkFileTree(Files.java:2804)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData.access$500(CopyInitData.java:15)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData$CopyFileVisitor.preVisitDirectory(CopyInitData.java:478)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData$CopyFileVisitor.preVisitDirectory(CopyInitData.java:440)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.walkFileTree(Files.java:2811)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData.copy_(CopyInitData.java:127)
at com.ebasetech.start.CopyInitData.copy(CopyInitData.java:82)
at com.ebasetech.start.TomcatBootstrap.main(TomcatBootstrap.java:39)
0 x

Steve

Re: Upgrading to 5.9

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi Neil,

Did you also rename:

D:\Verjio\UserData\ServerTEST\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost\ebase.xml
to
D:\Verjio\UserData\ServerTEST\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost\ufs.xml

Kind regards

Steve
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi Steve,
Yes this was done as part of the 5.5 to 5.6 upgrade:
D:\Verjio\UserData\ServerTEST\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost\ufs.xml

Many thanks
Neil
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Hi Neil,

The embedded server is separate from the On Premise server and it will not see the database connections. The database connections will need to be setup again if using the embedded server for development.

Another option is to select the On Premise server in the dropdown on at the top right of the studio. This will connect to the On Premise server. If you do this, then you may need to make sure your workspace is pointing to the same location of your On Premise server if they are on the same machine. If they are not... then this will not be possible and you will need to "deploy" changes to the On Premise server.

I will investigate upgrading a 5.7 On premise server to 5.9 and see if I can replicate the errors.

Kind regards

Steve
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi Neil,

I just tested the upgrade and it worked for me (renaming the app to ufs before and testing upgrading)

If you email support@ebasetech.com I will arrange a call, this can be with MS teams if you have it. Or send me your phone number and I will call you.

Kind regards

Steve
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:08 am

Hi Neil,

After our chat yesterday I thought I would update this post.

The problem with starting the windows service is that the permissions on the Windows Service had changed from "Local System account" radio button selected to Use this account: Local Account.

I am not sure how this happened and whether this is our bug, but when the system started there were Access Denied exceptions and files were copied into the wrong locations.

Setting the windows service Log On options correctly fixed the problem and the server initialised correctly.
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:16 am

Hi Steve,
Many thanks for your help, I will be upgrading our live system soon, so will update this post if the same thing happens.

Thanks again
Neil
0 x