upgrading from 5.5 to 5.6 instruction error (maybe)

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

neilnewman
Ebase User

upgrading from 5.5 to 5.6 instruction error (maybe)

Postby neilnewman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:40 am

Upgrade_Server_from_V5x_instructions.htm
These two instructions don't match:
Firstly it tells you to copy the files from <webappOldHome>/WEB-INF/classes to <userdata>/apps/ebase/ebaseConf
The next step states:
Copy any additional files that you have added from <webappOldHome>/WEB-INF/classes to <userdata>/apps/ebase/webapp/WEB-INF/classes
(ONE OF THESE MUST BE WRONG or are these files being split between two locations)

· Copy the following from <webappOldHome>/WEB-INF/classes to <userdata>/apps/ebase/ebaseConf
o UfsSetup.properties
o log4j.xml
o ebaseCache.xml
o Graphing.properties
· Copy any additional files that you have added from <webappOldHome>/WEB-INF/classes to <userdata>/apps/ebase/webapp/WEB-INF/classes

NB: I am a bit surprised that there is nothing of the new installation under C:\Verjio\VerjioServer\Server\tomcat\webapps I was expecting there to at least be an ebase directory that I renamed to ufs.
All I have is the default Tomcat folders
0 x

Ben
Ebase Developer
Ebase Developer

Re: upgrading from 5.5 to 5.6 instruction error (maybe)

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:23 pm

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your post.

It is the case that the files in <webappOldHome>/WEB-INF/classes are being moved to two separate locations.

UfsSetup.properties, log4j.xml, ebaseCache.xml and Graphing.properties are all configuration files, so they are now loaded from <userdata>/apps/ebase/ebaseConf.

Some installations have a file at <webappOldHome>/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/cxf/org.apache.cxf.Logger. It isn't needed anymore and can be ignored.

If there are any other files in <webappOldHome>/WEB-INF/classes, they were probably added by you or your organization. They are part of your application and should be placed in <userdata>/apps/ebase/webapp/WEB-INF/classes to become part of the classpath.
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the answer, I just wanted to be sure I was reading it correctly.
With regard to the C:\Verjio\VerjioServer\Server\tomcat\webapps path under 5.6, I have no 'ebase' or 'ufs' folder here, under the 5.5 installation I have the ufs folder that contains my deployment.
I have completed my upgrade, yet I cannot see any of my pre-existing projects. I can see the verj examples project, which is a bit strange because that lives with my projects under workspace folder, any ideas please as to where I have gone wrong?

Many thanks
Neil
0 x

Ben
Ebase Developer
Ebase Developer

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:48 pm

The webapp folder is now at a path like <userdata>/apps/<appname>/webapp. It will be very much smaller now because most of the Ebase bits are somewhere else (<installation>/Server/webapp).

Your workspace is normally at <userdata>/apps/<appname>/workspace. Hopefully that contains all your projects.

When installed, the appname is 'ebase'. If you want to call it 'ufs' then you should rename <userdata>/apps/ebase to <userdata>/apps/ufs. You'll also need to rename ebase.xml to ufs.xml in <userdata>/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost.

These changes require a server restart.

If it still doesn't work then I might get more idea if you email me your server logs (<userdata>/tomcat/logs and maybe <userdata>/apps/<appname>/logs) to support@ebasetech.com.
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi ben,
Hopefully I did all that stuff, so I will email you my log files.

Many thanks
Neil
0 x

Ben
Ebase Developer
Ebase Developer

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi Neil,

For starters, it’s not happy with your licence, but continues anyway. I’m a bit confused about that, because I would have thought it would abort without a licence. Perhaps this is making some things fail, causing problems.

It then “Failed to skim” several entities. These are listed in your log. That's not good either.

I think we should get the licence sorted first. Licences are tied to hosts. Is this running on the same machine as before? Your licence is at C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs\ebaseConf\ebaselicence.properties. Can you check it’s there and looks reasonable?

It’s possible to temporarily use the community licence, which can be found at C:\Verjio\VerjioServer\Server\initData\apps\ebase\ebaseConf\ebaselicence.properties. It’s got limitations, but should get us started.

Can you get either your licence working, or the community licence, and run the server again. If your forms don’t work, I’ll have a look at the new logs.

Ben
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:58 am

Hi Ben,
Made a bit of progress, I repointed the workspace via the client from 'workspace' to the 'full path/workspace' and my projects are now showing.
What I am doing here is testing out the upgrade process and documenting the steps for our site, by loading 5.6 onto my PC and then migrating our test system into it.
I have now resolved the licence issue, the community edition licence was overwritten when I copied over the contents of the ebaseConf folder, I have now put back a community edition license and the databases have upgraded from 5.5.1 to 5.6.0 successfully.

I exported all of the projects from our live system and then imported them into our test system prior to attempting this upgrade on our live server, I suspect something went wrong when these were imported into the test system. From what I can tell the projects with issues have an "_2" rather than an "_1" suffix, so I have deleted these from the test workspace and manually copied in the files from our live system.

One other question I have is regarding the Java Trust Store, am I understanding it correctly, that I need to rename the cacerts file to truststore under C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\security?

Many thanks
Neil

The startup log now appears to be error free:
2019-10-24 08:51:42 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initialized
Copying startup files from C:\Verjio\VerjioServer\Server\initData to C:\Verjio\UserData\Server
Startup files not copied. Already up to date.
Done Copying startup files.
No org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder found in ClassPath, trying with log4j2...
No org.apache.logging.log4j.Logger found found in ClassPath, trying with log4j...
No org.apache.log4j.Logger found found in ClassPath, falling back default...
Thu Oct 24 08:51:47: log4j configured with C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs\ebaseConf\log4j.xml
Thu Oct 24 08:51:47: verjio.server.userdata C:\Verjio\UserData\Server
Thu Oct 24 08:51:47: verjio.server.home C:\Verjio\VerjioServer\Server\winservice\..
Thu Oct 24 08:51:47: Application found at C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs
Thu Oct 24 08:51:47: Ebase configuration found at C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs\ebaseConf
Thu Oct 24 08:51:48: Ebase Server initialising....
Thu Oct 24 08:51:49: Loading Property file UFSSetup.properties
Thu Oct 24 08:51:49: UFSSetup.properties property file found
Thu Oct 24 08:51:49: ************************************************************
Logging to file C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs\logs\ufsserver.log
Thu Oct 24 08:51:49: *** Starting Verj.io Server version 5.6.0, Build 20190807
Thu Oct 24 08:51:49: ************************************************************
Thu Oct 24 08:51:49: INFO Successfully connected to UFSREPOSITORY datasource.
Thu Oct 24 08:51:49: INFO Licence is valid
Thu Oct 24 08:51:55: Runtime resources found at C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs\runtimeResources
Thu Oct 24 08:52:01: Verj.io designer server component initialised successfully
Thu Oct 24 08:52:02: Workflow servlet component initialised successfully
Thu Oct 24 08:52:02: FormCacheLoader: start
Thu Oct 24 08:52:02: FormCacheLoader: end
Thu Oct 24 08:52:02: ******************************************************************
Thu Oct 24 08:52:02: *** Verj.io Server V5.6.0 successfully initialized in 13 seconds
Thu Oct 24 08:52:02: *** Using workspace C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs\workspace
Thu Oct 24 08:52:02: ******************************************************************
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:31 am

Sorry Ben another question:
All of my database connections are missing on the new system, I know they live under:
D:\Ebase\dbc-ebase-test\UfsServer\transport_files\IT_elements\Database_Connections, but I cannot see a step in the instructions to migrate them?
The same applies to my configured sequences.

Thanks
Neil
0 x

Ben
Ebase Developer
Ebase Developer

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:23 am

Hi Neil,

Your server log looks much happier, that's great news.

A configured workspace location of 'workspace' should resolve to 'C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs\workspace', so I don't understand why that's not working. Relative paths in ebaseConf are resolved relative to the app directory (C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs in your case). The configured workspace location is stored in ebaseConf/workspace.properties.

The Java trustore instructions are only relevant if you have added a certificate to your system. If you have modified cacerts in the past, we now recommend you add them to a new keystore at UserData\Server\security\truststore. Theses will be dynamically merged with the standard Java ones from jre/lib/security/cacerts. Instructions are in Verj.io_Server_Configuration.htm 'Add certifcate to the Java trust store'. We did this to allow Java or verj.io to be upgraded, but still retain your certificates.

Databases are configured in ebaseConf/databases. Did you copy it from your old system? If they are using JNDI, you'll also need to add resources in userdata/tomcat/config/Catalina/localhost/ufs.xml. You can copy the 'resource' elements from your old ufs.xml.

Sequences are stored in the runtime database. They are created automatically when first used. Their current values will be maintained when the runtime database is upgraded.

Hope that all helps

Ben
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for the continued support!

We do use the Java Truststore to talk with a number of different remote data sources, I have copied over our cacerts file to UserData\Server\security\ and renamed it to be "truststore"
Is that all I need to do?

My missing database connections and sequences I have since discovered are only missing when viewed via the "Server Admin Console" they are happily in place within the "Studio Client".
Is this a feature of the new release, or do I still have something wrong?

Regarding our ufs.xml file the main difference between the two, is that our original file had this line in it, which does not exist in the new one:
<Transaction factory="com.atomikos.icatch.jta.UserTransactionFactory" />
Is it required?

With regard to the .properties files, I have changed them all to read thus:
i.e: workspace.properties:
Workspace.location=workspace

i.e: server.properties:
Ufs.fileDirectoryName=generatedfiles
Ufs.pdfDirectoryName=generatedpdfs
Ufs.logDirName=logs
Is this the correct format?

Many thanks again
Neil
0 x

Ben
Ebase Developer
Ebase Developer

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Yes, the certificates in UserData\Server\security\truststore will be merged with the certificates in jre\lib\security\cacerts so that should contain all the certificates you need.

You should really be able to see the database connections in the Server Admin Console. The Server Admin console lists all databases from <userdata>\apps\ufs\ebaseConf\databases. That directory should have a .eb file for each database connection. Do you have any?

The ufs.xml files will be very similar. It should have an attribute on the Context element: <Context ebaseApp="true"
This does a several things, including adding the atomikos UserTransactionFactory, so the <Transaction> element is not required.

You property files look great.
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi Ben,
Yes I do have all the connection definition files under C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs\ebaseConf\databases and they all have the .eb suffix, I cannot see the Sequences either from the Server Admin Console, yet they are visible in the Studio Client!

My ufs.xml file does have the following line: <Context ebaseApp="true" reloadable="false" crossContext="true">

Any other ideas?

thanks
Neil
0 x

Ben
Ebase Developer
Ebase Developer

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:35 pm

What happens if you use the server admin console to create a new database connection?
Does it create a new .eb file in ebaseConf\databases?

I think Sequences will appear when first used.

How are you viewing Sequences and Databases in the Studio Client? Is it via a Database resource?
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:04 am

Hi Ben,
OK a slight mistake on my part here, when viewing database connections via the "Server Admin Console" I cannot see the many definitions that should be there, I believed that I could see these from within the Studio, however I was wrong, I was looking at the "Database Resources" NOT the "Database Connections", these are also missing.
I added a new Database Connection, to the 5.6 system and then carried out a search of the filesystem for the new entry, however it returned nothing, so I assume this is stored in the database?

The same is true of the missing Sequences, I believe.

Many thanks
Neil
0 x

Ben
Ebase Developer
Ebase Developer

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 am

If you are talking about the page titled "Ebase Xi Server Administration Console" , "Home > Database Connections" - any database listed or created here is saved at userdata\Server\apps\ufs\ebaseConf\databases. Looking at your logs, that'll be C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs\ebaseConf\databases.

If your browser is running on the same machine as your server, the url will be something like http://localhost:3030/ufs/ebaseAdmin.eb.

Does your new database connection stay listed in the page?

Unfortunately there is no detailed logging to help diagnose what might be going wrong if the contents of ebaseConf\databases isn't showing in the Database Connections page.

I might get a better idea if you can check a few things and send me some information:

Could you restart your server, and go to the database connections page of the Server Administration Console. If you could then email me: The url of the browser page you are on. The names of any database connections in that page. The contents of C:\Verjio\UserData\Server\apps\ufs\ebaseConf\databases. A new zip of your logs.

Apologies if you have already checked all of this. I'm running out of easy ways to help.
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:55 am

Hi Ben,
I have email support the info you requested.

Many thanks
Neil
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:29 am

After a few more installs/uninstalls I have managed to get a working set of instructions for our site, ready for the upgrade process.

Many thanks for all your help
0 x