Install Xi on Public Cloud

View and download documents on various topics e.g. Configuring Ebase Xi under different environmental setups

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

philiPMartian
Ebase User

Install Xi on Public Cloud

Postby philiPMartian » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:58 am

I am attempting to install EbaseXi on Redhat OpenShift cloud server. Tomcat7 is installed and connectivity is through Git.
Where should I put the UfsClient and UfsServer folders and how do I configure Tomcat7 so I can develop and deploy from the cloud server?
0 x
01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100100 01100101 00100000 01010010 01110101 01101100 01100101 01110011

Hovik

Postby Hovik » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:16 am

We can provide you instructions for deploying Ebase into an installed Tomcat7 environment.

We've not used Redhat OpenShift before. Are you able to copy files/folders to the installed Tomcat7 file system?
0 x

philiPMartian
Ebase User

Postby philiPMartian » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:12 pm

OpenShift is RedHat's public cloud. They offer a free account and additional space, features and support for a monthly fee. Here is an excerpt from their site: How do I use OpenShift Online?
To use OpenShift Online and take advantage of the power and elasticity of the Cloud, you only need to do the following:
Create an "Application" in OpenShift Online (with the web console, command-line tools, or your IDE)
Code the application in your favorite environment, or use one of the available Quickstarts.
Push the application code to OpenShift Online (using Git)
// Create the app based on an existing GitHub repository,
// And it all gets set up in the cloud
rhc create-app twt python-3.3 mongodb-2.4 --from-code git://github.com/openshift/openshift-twt-mongo-demo.git
// Need to make a change? A local Git repository is checked out into ./twt
cd twt
// .... change some code ...
git commit -a -m "My first change"
git push origin master
// And now your changes are live online
Besides access to web app builders they call "cartridges" (from Ruby to Drupal) you can install a custom service on their PAAS. This page shows a sample file tree;
http://openshift.github.io/documentatio ... guide.html
Right now I am evaluating the pros and cons of using OpenShift as an EbaseXi platform. I am looking for an EbaseXi platform that is simple to manage and accessible from anywhere.
0 x

philiPMartian
Ebase User

OpenShift vs DigitalOcean

Postby philiPMartian » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for the great phone support (time zone issues aside) in my one-on-one consultation about installing EbaseXi on RedHat's OpenShift public cloud. I am taking your sage advise and moving on to IaaS instead of PaaS.
Next step: With a low-cost, and I mean low-cost ($5/mo) account from Digital Ocean, see this article from PCWorld...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2045866/ ... enter.html
I am going to spin up an Ubuntu virtual machine and attempt to install EbaseXi. This solution seems ideal for developers like me, as the prototype on the $5/plan can be cloned to a more robust yet still very reasonably priced virtual machine at DigitalOcean once my clients commit to my bid.
I was hoping to avoid learning the intracacies of Linux management and database installations but it looks like "D-O's" control panel/ management tools are state of the art. Can't wait to get this part in place so I can begin writing EbaseXi applications.
0 x

Dave
Ebase Staff

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:12 am

Hi Philip - had a quick look at the DO stuff. Looks great but you will need more RAM than the $5 512Mb setup, especially if you're putting a separate DB on there as well. Probably best to go for 2GB for an entry level machine. Even if that doubled the price it would still be a bargain!

Going to check it out more carefully as a potential deployment option for our customers too. Suggest we share findings on this as we go.

Let us know if you need some help getting installed. Would be worth a discussion around set-up options I think, especially if you're planning to use the same VM for both dev/test and production (would require separate ports, for Tomcat, and redirection from your web listener, etc.) Nothing too difficult, just a bit of discussion.

Best Regards,
Dave
0 x

Dave
Ebase Staff

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:45 am

Hi again Philip - by way of a trial we installed Xi onto a DO server this morning. We went for a 2GB RAM, 2-CPU, 40Gb storage machine, $20 a month machine. We installed Oracle Express as well. All went easy, up and running in maybe 30 minutes (from the point where we started on the DO dashboard to request a VM).

Details are here, if you (or anyone else) want to have a look:

Try this url: http://188.226.136.52/ufs/ufsmain?formid=SAMPLE_ACALIA

To putty into the server use the following credentials:

Host: 188.226.136.52
UID: root
PWD: aiaxvbvcxudo

Ebase is installed in /home/ebaseXi

Dave
0 x

devandkumar11
Ebase User

Postby devandkumar11 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:59 am

Installing Creative Cloud is very different from installing local products, according to my very superficial reading, even though the end result (a local product to run) is the same. Creative Cloud needs control over the install process. I assume you have Creative Cloud for Teams or Enterprise; if so, it offers deployment tools ("Creative Cloud Packager").

See http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/packager.html which mentions SCCM.
0 x
Dev

Dave
Ebase Staff

Install Xi on Digital Ocean

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 am

Here are some instructions to set Xi up on a Digital Ocean hosted Linux server.

http://www.ebaseftp.com/download/DigitalOcean.pdf

The instructions include installing Oracle Express as well, for anyone who might want to include that.

The whole process, from requesting the virtual server (a Droplet) from Digital Ocean to having Xi and Oracle up and running, should take maximum 45 minutes.
0 x