email alert is not triggering

Post any question regarding setting up, running or configuring Verj.io Workflow

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Segi
Ebase User

email alert is not triggering

Postby Segi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:56 pm

I created a workflow which is pretty similar to the laptop approval example.

The structure of the workflow is

Start->Scrap Submission (Interactive Task Node)->Email Alert (System Task Node) to designated employees->End

I have configured all of the activities and the workflow in and out parameters. When I step through the workflow, the email alert does not trigger an email. I know that the email resource itself is fine because I can manually trigger it on the Scrap Submission and it will send an email alert.

Any thoughts as to why it wouldn't work ?
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:15 pm

If you copied the laptop example, your scripts will be in FPL which logs each individual script command. So if you step through the process, you should see the sendmail command being executed in the execution log (View > execution log), also you should see any errors here. If sendmail is executed and there are no errors logged, the system thinks the email has been sent successfully. You might check that you've sent it to the correct email address.

In the laptop example, the critical checkbox for the Email Resource is not checked, so the email is allowed to fail and the script can continue. However, if this happens, errors are still logged and should be visible. You might check whether this option is checked for your Emasil Resource.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Jon,

I created the workflow from scratch but used the Laptop example as a guide.

The part submission activity is configured as an interactive activity and lists all of the output parameters and a completion state of complete.

The Email Alert is tied to a System Activity. I do not have any FPL in this activity because there are no conditions. I want it to execute unconditionally.

I am manually providing all of the parameters when stepping through the workflow. The execution log shows:

** START EXECUTION OF WORKFLOW SYSTEM TASK NODE: Scrap Submission Email Alert, ACTIVITY: SCRAP_EMAIL_ALERT_ACTIVITY, JOB: JOB:SCRAP_FORM_APPROVAL:1:1 **

** END EXECUTION OF WORKFLOW SYSTEM TASK NODE: Scrap Submission Email Alert, ACTIVITY: SCRAP_EMAIL_ALERT_ACTIVITY, JOB: JOB:SCRAP_FORM_APPROVAL:1:1 **
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:33 am

I don't understand "The Email Alert is tied to a System Activity". A System Activity is just a script dressed up with a different name. If there isn't any code, it won't do anything. To send an email, you need to enter the script code to do this in the code box in the System Activity e.g.

Javascript:
resources.MY_EMAIL.sendmail();

FPL:
sendmail MY_EMAIL;
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:19 pm

When I step through the workflow to test each step, the email alert is properly triggered. When I submit the Scrap Submission form, the email alert activity does not seem to trigger and no email alert is sent out unless I manually add resources.myemailalert.sendmail() on the server side event of the Save button on the Scrap Submission form
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:49 pm

It's still not clear to me exactly what you are trying to do. I'm assuming that you do have script code to execute the email in your system activity - otherwise it wouldn't work when you test it.

Why don't you export the workflow process together with any associated forms, scripts, resources etc and send it to support@ebasetech.com. We'll have a quick look.
0 x