Apply the same workflow process+activities to multiple forms

Post any question regarding setting up, running or configuring Verj.io Workflow

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Vircos
Ebase User

Apply the same workflow process+activities to multiple forms

Postby Vircos » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:10 am

I am facing the following problem.
I have a set of 16 forms. Allthough they all ask for different information, the workflow process and activities behind every form are exactly the same.

This means that I want to use the same workflow process with the same activities for every form. However a workflow activity is single form binded.

Is there a way to apply a single workflow process together with the workflow activities, being used in the process, to all the 16 forms?
0 x
What's the meaning of Justice...

AJDulk
Ebase User

Workflow Documentation

Postby AJDulk » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:36 pm

Vircos,

We are using 1 workflow with 12 different forms at the moment at Rotterdam. Looking at how Ebase have done it, there is a script at the end of the form which starts the workflow process. This script evokes only one workflow specific function, namely workflow open job.

See also the Ebase Workflow Documentation for further information.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Antony
0 x

Dave
Ebase Staff

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Vircos,
Am I right in thinking that effectively what you want to do is bind more than one form to a workflow activity, and then control which form gets called ?
If so, then one way of achieving the effect would be to have a single form bound to the activity but that form itself just executes a call form on its Before Form event. The form that it calls, plus the data it uses, can be controlled by data passed in from the workflow process. You could use session variables for a convenient way for the calling and called forms to share data.
Let me know if that would do it ?
Cheers,
Dave
0 x

Vircos
Ebase User

Postby Vircos » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:18 am

Hi Dave,

What I mean is that I can control the activity assignment per form in the workflow process.

By using single-sign-on on a form I must be able to determine the person who is using the form and with that also the department which the person is working for. Depending on the department I should be able to set the assignment for the next workflow activity in the workflow process.

Only I can't figure out how the achieve that kind of assignment.
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:44 pm

Vircos,

We have recently produced a new dynamic assignment handler for workflow. This allows you to use a process attribute variable to control assignment i.e. the group and/or membership of an interactive task can be changed dynamically. This was written for V3.4.0 but it will probably work fine with any version of Ebase Workflow. If you're interested, let me know and I'll set up a download link.

This new assignment handler will only help you with dynamic assignment to a group. If you want to dynamically assign to a single individual, you will need to run a workflow system task just before your target interactive task and include a command like this:

SET $WF_xxx_RESOURCE = NEWUSER;

where xxx is the task name and NEWUSER is a process attribute containing the new userid. See workflow concepts doc under 'Future Configuration'.

Regards
Jon
0 x

Vircos
Ebase User

Postby Vircos » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:24 am

I am very interested.
Please set up a download link :)
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:53 pm

Are you on V3.4.0 ? If so, this is included in both the 07092007 and 01102007 service packs. If you are on V3.4.0, I recommend that you upgrade to 01102007. If you aren't on V3.4.0, let me know and I'll set up the download, but implementing in the designer has proved to be a bit harder than I thought. The upgrade option is probably simpler.

Once you have the software, you implement it by changing the following property in UFSSetup.properties:

Workflow.AssignmentHandler=com.ebasetech.ufs.workflow.resource.example.EbaseDynamicAssignmentHandler

The new assignment handler will understand assignment expressions from the old one, but vice versa is not true i.e. if you use the new dynamic options, these will not be understood by the old assignment handler.
0 x

Vircos
Ebase User

Postby Vircos » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:43 am

I have just installed the 01102007 service pack.
Everything works fine, but I am unable to find any information about the dynamic assignment in the Ebase documentation.

But if I am correct, I can use formfields which I map with the process attributes in a process. Those attributes I can use in the Task resource for dynamic assignment.
0 x

Vircos
Ebase User

Postby Vircos » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:15 pm

Since I have enabled the EbaseDynamicAssignmentHandler I have a problem with testing a workflow process with the Process Tester. After starting the test I normally should be able to fill in the parameters of the interactive task before completing the task and set process to the next task. Unfortunately that is not the case, after starting the test 9 out of 10 times I am only able to finish the task :(
0 x

Wai

Postby Wai » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Vircos wrote: But if I am correct, I can use form fields which I map with the process attributes in a process. Those attributes I can use in the Task resource for dynamic assignment.
You are correct. To do this with the new EbaseDynamicAssignmentHandler, you simply need to map your form field to a process attribute. Then in your Task node Resources tab, select 'Custom'.

In the Custom Assignment part, select Group and Dynamic. In the Dynamic section, enter the process attribute name into the Group textbox.
0 x

Wai

Postby Wai » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:52 pm

Vircos wrote:Since I have enabled the EbaseDynamicAssignmentHandler I have a problem with testing a workflow process with the Process Tester. After starting the test I normally should be able to fill in the parameters of the interactive task before completing the task and set process to the next task. Unfortunately that is not the case, after starting the test 9 out of 10 times I am only able to finish the task :(
This should work as it has always done. This has not changed and does work on my system. When you say it does not work, are there any output parameters in the left-hand 'Interactive Task' panel? On the Completion tab you have Output parameters as defined in your Interactive Activity.
0 x

Vircos
Ebase User

Postby Vircos » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:05 pm

I do not know why but somehow the problem is gone.
0 x