Error sending email: 'Could not connect to SMTP host'

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Sarah
Ebase User

Error sending email: 'Could not connect to SMTP host'

Postby Sarah » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:10 am

Error when trying to send an email: "Could not connect to SMTP host: abc01.erc.insider, port:25"

I am executing a sendmail at the end of a form submission and generating an error. I have set up the email resource and Ufs.emailHostId as described in the Ebase help file. I have Ebase set up on my PC and I have the IP address enabled on our Exchange Server to relay mail.

Error:

Code: Select all

Mail error sending to email source EMAIL_RESOURCE1, Could not connect to SMTP host: abc01.erc.insider, port:25; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: connect.
Last edited by Sarah on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
0 x

Sarah
Ebase User

Postby Sarah » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:12 am

This error means that the Ebase Server (Tomcat) is attempting to connect to the Email Server but isn't able to.

In this case, it was not an Ebase issue. When the customer tried to Telnet to the port, he couldn't. Their IT people sorted out the problem.

Another thing to check for is whether the Email Server is set up to allow relays only for authenticated users. This would allow only local domain IDs and would block sending of mail to external domain IDs. If so, the email resource needs to have the "Authentication on" checkbox selected and a valid username and password entered.

We also found the following information on the internet that other people have posted for the error "Could not connect to SMTP host: port:25":
- "Check your anti-virus software setup. Chances are that the software is configured to block the port that your email server is listening. Or other possibilities that the port is used by something else?"
- "McAfee is running on my server and it was blocking the java program to open Port 25 due to spam. I disabled that option in McAfee and it is working fine now."
0 x