Component deployment to forms

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Segi
Ebase User

Component deployment to forms

Postby Segi » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:24 pm

I use Git to manage my Verj IO workspace.

Anytime that I need to work on a Verj Project, I check out that project from Git, make my changes. commit the changes back to Git and then remove the project from my workspace. At any given time, I have a workspace folder that is either completely empty or contains the one active project that I am working on.

I am thinking of creating a component which would be deployed to many forms across multiple projects.I know that components have to be deployed to the form that they are linked to. Once I link a component to a form and deploy the form to our production server, if I ever want to make changes to the component, will I need to redeploy the component to all the forms that use it ? This would mean that I would have to check out all the projects from Git, which is 75-80 projects, from Git that use the component, redeploy the component to all of the forms that it is linked to and then recommit all of the projects.

Or can I just deploy the modified linked component to my production server and the updated version of the component which is linked to all of the forms would be displayed instead of the previous version of the component ?

Basically what I am asking is, once you linked a component to a form, do you have redeploy the component to the form that the component is linked to on subsequent component changes
0 x

Jon

Re: Component deployment to forms

Postby Jon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:35 am

Yes, you have to redeploy the component to all the forms.

For info: when you redeploy a component, the system gets the list of target forms from the Data Dictionary. The Data Dictionary, in turn, is built from the workspace. It should be capable of keeping track of all the project changes you are making to the workspace.

Could you not keep all the projects in the workspace? And otherwise work in exactly the same way?
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Re: Component deployment to forms

Postby Segi » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Jon,

Because I have someone else who works with me developing with Verj and I like to keep all projects synced with Git and to have a workspace that only has the current project that I'm working on to make it easier to track what changes to sync back to Git

Thanks for the help
0 x