issues exporting system to Directory

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

neilnewman
Ebase User

issues exporting system to Directory

Postby neilnewman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:56 am

Anyone out there got any ideas what is going wrong please?

I have taken a complete export of our live Ebase system and imported it SUCCESSFULLY into our test Ebase system.

I then attempted a full Directory export of the test system, however after around an hour this fails with the message: "Error on server, see log for details. - a server programming error occurred"

The log appears to imply that Java ran out of memory, why would this be the case when I have an exact copy of our live instance?:

Exception in thread "WfMS Queue Processor" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.StringBuffer.<init>(Unknown Source)
at org.enhydra.jdbc.standard.StandardXAConnection.toString(StandardXAConnection.java:742)
at java.lang.String.valueOf(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(Unknown Source)
at org.objectweb.jotm.SubCoordinator.doOnePhaseCommit(SubCoordinator.java:1236)
at org.objectweb.jotm.SubCoordinator.commit_one_phase(SubCoordinator.java:458)
at org.objectweb.jotm.TransactionImpl.commit(TransactionImpl.java:224)
at org.objectweb.jotm.Current.commit(Current.java:475)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.TransactionManager.commit(TransactionManager.java:105)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.TransactionManager.commitTransaction(TransactionManager.java:538)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.workflow.server.enactment.WorkQueue$WorkThread.run(WorkQueue.java:474)
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.ensureCapacityInternal(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(Unknown Source)
at java.io.StringWriter.write(Unknown Source)
at java.io.PrintWriter.write(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serializer.ToStream.writeAttrString(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serializer.ToStream.processAttributes(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serializer.ToStream.closeStartTag(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serializer.ToStream.startElement(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serializer.ToUnknownStream.startElement(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serializer.ToUnknownStream.startElement(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.DOM2TO.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transformIdentity(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(Unknown Source)
at com.ebasetech.xml.JAXP.JAXP13.write(JAXP13.java:54)
at com.ebasetech.xml.XMLUtil.write(XMLUtil.java:125)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.runtime.PageContentSerializer.serializeControl(PageContentSerializer.java:49)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.Page.serializePageContents(Page.java:1432)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.migration.PageMigration.exportControls(PageMigration.java:198)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.migration.PageMigration.exportItem(PageMigration.java:126)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.Page.exportItem(Page.java:741)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.migration.StandaloneUFSComponentMigration.exportPages(StandaloneUFSComponentMigration.java:143)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.migration.StandaloneUFSComponentMigration.exportItem(StandaloneUFSComponentMigration.java:87)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.migration.StandaloneUFSComponentMigration.exportItem(StandaloneUFSComponentMigration.java:61)
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Neil,

Which version of Ebase are you using?

Do you know roughly how many Entities you are exporting?

Kind regards

Steve Upton
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Version 4.5.5 20160512

Postby neilnewman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:15 am

Hi Steve,
We are running 4.5.5, I am doing this in preparation for an upgrade to 5.2.
The export contains around 1800 items.

To try and resolve the issue I thought it would be a good idea to delete and recreate the Windows service for our test Ebase installation and in doing so increase the amount of memory allocated from 512MB to 2GB, however now when I try to restart the service it fails to locate the Derby UFS database.

Any pointers please?

Many thanks
Neil
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 am

Hi Neil,

I was going to suggest increasing the memory to a higher number.

Are you using a 64bit version of Ebase? You need to be using that to increase the memory above about 1.3GB.

Also, if you want to backup the repository you could backup the database instead. Is your UFSREPOSITORY database connection configured in:

<ebase-install-dir>/UfsServer/tomcat/conf/Catalina/locahost/ufs.xml

using the Derby database? If so, you can take a copy of that database located in:

<ebase-install-dir>/UfsServer/DB

You can backup this database by just copying the UFS (database). This holds all the repository data including the runtime information also.

If it is using a different database, then you could also just backup that repository.

Kind regards

Steve
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Got it!

Postby neilnewman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks for all your help Steve,
My database connection issue was resolved when I specified a full path to the database in the ufs.xml file (not sure why that would now be required since I recreated the service).

Anyhow the export now runs successfully, so I can look at upgrading the instance to 5.2.

Thanks again
Neil
0 x