A couple of questions on brand-new install...

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

sstillwell
Ebase User

A couple of questions on brand-new install...

Postby sstillwell » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:08 pm

When installing latest Community download on OS X 10.9.5, I have run into a few issues - one is just a nuisance, but the other I am hoping that there is a workaround for...

First, when I use the stop.sh shell script to end the Ebase Xi Server from the UfsServer directory, I get a message that the server has shut down, followed by a crash report from OS X that Java has crashed. If there's a way to get a clean shutdown that doesn't require user interaction, I'd be happy to know what it is.

Second, I was using Ebase Xi to write an application that accesses a legacy SQL Server database. This database was originally upsized from Access, and has all of the sins of an Access database produced by someone unfamiliar with database design - including tables and columns that have names that include spaces within them. Ebase will import the table definitions, but attempts to actually use those resources end in error. I'm not familiar enough with Ebase at this point to know where the problem lies or how to resolve...or if it's even possible to resolve. Renaming the tables and columns is not a particularly viable solution in that there are MANY Word documents that rely on this database as a merge source, and it would be politically impractical to suggest that they edit them all to have new references.

Sorry if this has rambled on a bit - if there are any questions that can help you to help me, just let me know...

Scott
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:34 pm

On the Sql Server question, I think the answer is to enclose the table name in the Database Resource (or Dynamic List) with square brackets i.e. it will look something like this:

[my table]

or possibly..

database.user.[my table]

If you have created the Database Resource by importing from the schema, Ebase will have inserted the database.owner on the front of the table name, but in almost all circumstances you can remove this.
0 x

sstillwell
Ebase User

Postby sstillwell » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:02 pm

I'm familiar with quoted identifiers - I'll give that a try. It would be nice if it could identify such cases and handle the quoting automagically during import - some of these tables have well over 100 columns and the editing process will be tedious and error-prone.

I'll follow up later with results. Thanks for the quick reply!

Scott
0 x

sstillwell
Ebase User

Postby sstillwell » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Progress being made...I can create forms and launch without SQL error - but no data is getting returned. This part is probably my fault as I'm doing something incorrectly. I'll review documentation and videos to see where I've gone wrong.

Scott
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:53 am

Tip: click the debug checkbox in the Database Resource then you can see the SQL that is being executed (View > Execution log). Most likely reasons are the where clause is incorrect or no mappings exist (resource fields to form fields).
0 x