Ebase performance question

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

james_petersen
Ebase User

Ebase performance question

Postby james_petersen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi Guys

Just a quick question: what are the server requirements for running ebase as a minimum.

Currently we have our production environment running on a VM with 2 cores and 4GB of RAM. Looking at the diagnostics, there is no load on the server but the designer is slightly (only slightly) laggy but it takes some time to load the designer after entering a username and password (10 secs or so). This is not far behind how long it takes on my desktop so I am wondering if this relates back to the JVM and whether increasing the heap size would have an effect?

Cheers!

James
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi James,

This sounds like it could be a lag loading all the data for the designer. When you login, the designer tree and other information is loaded from the database (element names and some other basic information), and then this information is transferred to the designer. There are a few calls to the server when the designer is loading. The time it takes to load can depend on the size of the Ebase repository.

Is the Ebase server on a separate machine? This could also explain some lag, as there could be a lot of information transferred from one machine to another.

We load the designer with the setting -Xmx512m set in the designer. I think this is OK.

Kind regards

Steve
0 x

Wai

Postby Wai » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:32 am

Correct me if I'm wrong James, but from what I understand the production environment is virtually a new set-up so there won't be much content being loaded into the designer.

The spec of the server sounds adequate too.

Could this be network related? The database is on another server.
0 x