Ebase uprade process not starting

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

bartbaas
Ebase User

Ebase uprade process not starting

Postby bartbaas » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:39 am

Good morning all,

I hope you're doing well in these strange times.

We have an issue with an upgrade of an ancient 4.5 Ebase to 5.2.
The issue, I believe, lies in the fact that we have a deployment using a uri in our deployment.
in Catalina local, we have a file dji#drife-i#ebase.xml and a corresponding folder in tomcat/webapps.

Upon starting, with upgrade=true in UFSServer.properties, the catalina logfile shows no errors. But as soon as the upgrade process starts, it states it cannot find a file in the tomcat/webapps/dji folder, without the #drife-i#ebase, so to speak.

I thought the path information used came out of UFSServer.properties, but when i change these paths and expect to see them reflected in this logging, it doesn't.

Can anyone tell me where this configuration originates from?

Code: Select all

Wed Apr 08 03:02:01:  ***  Starting Ebase Xi Server version 5.4.0, Build 20180727
Wed Apr 08 03:02:01:  ************************************************************
Wed Apr 08 03:02:02: INFO Licence is valid
Wed Apr 08 03:02:02: ERROR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wed Apr 08 03:02:02: ERROR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wed Apr 08 03:02:02: ERROR Repository database is not same level as server software: - 
Wed Apr 08 03:02:02: ERROR   - Database: version 4.5.4, build 20150610
Wed Apr 08 03:02:02: ERROR   - Software: version 5.4.0, build 20180727
Wed Apr 08 03:02:02: ERROR Correct the above problem then restart the server
Wed Apr 08 03:02:04: ERROR Error detected during initialisation of Ebase webapp
Wed Apr 08 03:02:04: ERROR Error detected during initialisation of Ebase webapp
com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.loaders.JAXBConfigLoader$JAXBConfigException: Error loading User functions configuration
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.loaders.JAXBConfigLoader.loadConfig(JAXBConfigLoader.java:96)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.loaders.ConfigLoader.loadConfigOrDefault(ConfigLoader.java:112)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.loaders.ConfigLoader.loadConfig(ConfigLoader.java:120)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.ServerConfig.getConfig(ServerConfig.java:126)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.idManager.IdManager.getFunctionNames(IdManager.java:176)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.idManager.IdManager.createReservedWords(IdManager.java:162)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.idManager.IdManager.<init>(IdManager.java:40)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.runtime.FormEngine.<init>(FormEngine.java:91)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.UFSServletContextProxy.initialiseFormEngine(UFSServletContextProxy.java:256)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.UFSServletContextProxy.init(UFSServletContextProxy.java:166)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.UFSServletContextProxy.Initialise(UFSServletContextProxy.java:242)
	at formservlets.EbaseContextListener.contextInitialized(EbaseContextListener.java:40)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4812)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5255)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:725)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:701)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:717)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:586)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1777)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: javax.xml.bind.UnmarshalException
 - with linked exception:
[java.io.FileNotFoundException: D:\Ebase\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\dji (The system cannot find the file specified)]
	at com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.unmarshaller.UnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal0(UnmarshallerImpl.java:213)
	at com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.unmarshaller.UnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(UnmarshallerImpl.java:184)
	at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.java:157)
	at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.java:162)
	at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.java:171)
	at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.java:189)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.loaders.JAXBConfigLoader.loadConfig(JAXBConfigLoader.java:90)
	... 24 more
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: D:\Ebase\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\dji (The system cannot find the file specified)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:195)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:138)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:93)
	at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:90)
	at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:188)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityManager.setupCurrentEntity(XMLEntityManager.java:623)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLVersionDetector.determineDocVersion(XMLVersionDetector.java:148)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:806)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:771)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:141)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1213)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:643)
	at com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.unmarshaller.UnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal0(UnmarshallerImpl.java:211)
	... 30 more
0 x

bartbaas
Ebase User

Re: Ebase uprade process not starting

Postby bartbaas » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 am

It seems to want to start with the tomcat/webapps/<ebasefldr>/ebaseConf/userfunctions.xml
can anyone confirm (or deny) that?
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:15 am

Yes, V5 uses the ebaseConf directory within the webapp to store a lot of configuration files. But the upgrade from V4 to V5 should create and populate this directory, it shouldn't stop it from starting. Are you sure you've configured upgrade=true in UFSSetup.properties?
0 x

bartbaas
Ebase User

Postby bartbaas » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi Jon, thanks for taking the time.

I got a little bit further: I created a folder dji in tomcat/webapps and copied the ebaseConf folder from my dji#drife-i#ebase folder.
Now ebase seems to be able to find it, but the ebase-server.log states that there is an issue with userFunctions.xml:

(and indeed, if I remove userFunctions.xml from that folder, it complains about the next xml in line: languages.xml)

Wed Apr 08 16:14:29: ERROR Error detected during initialisation of Ebase webapp
com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.loaders.JAXBConfigLoader$JAXBConfigException: Error loading User functions configuration
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.loaders.JAXBConfigLoader.loadConfig(JAXBConfigLoader.java:96)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.loaders.ConfigLoader.loadConfigOrDefault(ConfigLoader.java:112)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.loaders.ConfigLoader.loadConfig(ConfigLoader.java:120)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.ServerConfig.getConfig(ServerConfig.java:126)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.idManager.IdManager.getFunctionNames(IdManager.java:176)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.idManager.IdManager.createReservedWords(IdManager.java:162)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.idManager.IdManager.<init>(IdManager.java:40)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.runtime.FormEngine.<init>(FormEngine.java:91)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.UFSServletContextProxy.initialiseFormEngine(UFSServletContextProxy.java:256)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.UFSServletContextProxy.init(UFSServletContextProxy.java:166)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.kernel.UFSServletContextProxy.Initialise(UFSServletContextProxy.java:242)
	at formservlets.EbaseContextListener.contextInitialized(EbaseContextListener.java:40)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4812)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5255)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:725)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:701)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:717)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:586)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1777)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: javax.xml.bind.UnmarshalException
 - with linked exception:
[org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: file:/D:/Ebase/UfsServer/tomcat/webapps/dji#drife-i#ebase/ebaseConf/userFunctions.xml; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog.]
	at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.createUnmarshalException(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.unmarshaller.UnmarshallerImpl.createUnmarshalException(UnmarshallerImpl.java:514)
	at com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.unmarshaller.UnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal0(UnmarshallerImpl.java:215)
	at com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.unmarshaller.UnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(UnmarshallerImpl.java:184)
	at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(Unknown Source)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.sysadmin.conf.loaders.JAXBConfigLoader.loadConfig(JAXBConfigLoader.java:90)
	... 24 more
Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: file:/D:/Ebase/UfsServer/tomcat/webapps/dji#drife-i#ebase/ebaseConf/userFunctions.xml; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog.
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$PrologDriver.next(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.xml.bind.v2.runtime.unmarshaller.UnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal0(UnmarshallerImpl.java:211)
	... 30 more
Wed Apr 08 16:14:29: ERROR Error detected initialising the designer server component:
Wed Apr 08 16:14:29: ERROR Error detected initialising the batch server component:
Wed Apr 08 16:14:29: ERROR Error detected initialising the workflow servlet component:
0 x

bartbaas
Ebase User

Postby bartbaas » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:45 pm

first, it seemed that the xml was UTF-8 with BOM encoded, but even when i re-encode using Notepad++ it won't budge.
removed the variables in the xml element, copied it again from source, nothing seems to work.

The used java is 1.8.0_181 by the way
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:40 am

Hi bartbaas,

Could you email the userFunctions.xml (zipped) to support@ebasetech.com and I will have a look for you. Sometimes this can occur if it has been modified with something like notepad.

It looks to me as though you have a rogue character in the XML file and this is what is causing the error message.

Kind regards

Steve
0 x

bartbaas
Ebase User

Postby bartbaas » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:23 am

Good morning,

I've sent you the requested files. Thanks in advance for taking the time and effort.
0 x

bartbaas
Ebase User

Postby bartbaas » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:37 pm

Something I noticed just now: We have another instance running succesfully at Ebase 5.4 and this is using a newer tomcat version.
8.5.34.0 vs. 8.0.30.0 on our non-functioning setup.
0 x

bartbaas
Ebase User

Postby bartbaas » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:10 pm

Upgraded to 8.5.54.0 to no avail, still same error.
0 x

bartbaas
Ebase User

Postby bartbaas » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:41 am

Okay, I managed to upgrade Ebase. But the issue remains after the upgrade.

What I did:
We had a folder that constructed the uri for this application: tomcat\webapps\company#application#ebase
and in the tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost an xml file with the same name: company#application#ebase.xml

I renamed the file and folder and altered all references in UFSServer.properties.
Restarted Ebase, and away we go, upgraded the database, set update=false in ufsserver.properties.
All done. opened ebaseAdmin and set language, ldap settings, etc.

Then I reversed the renaming (folder and xml) and restarted Ebase.
And we're back to the same issue: first:

[java.io.FileNotFoundException: D:\Ebase\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\company (The system cannot find the file specified)]
and after copying the ebaseConf folder to a new folder tomcat\webapps\company:

<..>
[org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: file:/D:/Ebase/UfsServer/tomcat/webapps/dji#drife-i#ebase/ebaseConf/userFunctions.xml; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog.]
So it seems that 5.4 doesn't handle the # in folder names very well.
Is there any way I can log the handling of the ebaseConf folder in more detail?
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:37 am

Just a thought,

but maybe try to wrap the part of the path with the hash tag in it with quotation marks

So instead of putting

D:\Ebase\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\dji#drife-i#ebase\ebaseConf\userFunctions.xml
Maybe try the path this way:

D:\Ebase\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\"dji#drife-i#ebase"\ebaseConf\userFunctions.xml
If you have a Windows path with a space in the directory name, you need to do that and that might be necessary here when using unusual characters in the directory name.

If that doesn't fix it, another thing that you can do is rename that folder so it doesn't have the # sign in it, rename the xml in tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost to match the webapp name and see if it works without it at least for testing purposes.
1 x

bartbaas
Ebase User

Postby bartbaas » Tue May 19, 2020 7:05 am

Thanks for taking time to help, Segi, I haven't checked this topic in a while.
We are going with the second option, change the uri, seems to be the easiest solution.
0 x