load balancing

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

xren
Ebase User

load balancing

Postby xren » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Hello,

I would like to setup load balancing for ebase servers. What is your suggestion recommendation on load balancer?

Thanks,
Xiaoli
0 x

Jon

Re: load balancing

Postby Jon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:29 am

There are quite a lot of load-balancing technology choices available. At Ebase, we have experience of using:
  • haproxy (common choice for load-balancing, lots of users, but documentation can be difficult)
  • tomcat (this uses the tomcat balancer webapp, it's less well used, but is probably more familiar to you)
These two are both free, there are more options if you're prepared to pay. The tomact balancer and haproxy both work fine; if you don't mind learning haproxy or you already have some experience, this would be my preference.

In both cases, you should use sticky sessions. This will give you load balancing i.e. the ability to distribute load across multiple servers, but it won't give you complete failover i.e. if one server fails, all users on that server will experience a failure; they would then be able to reconnect and start their transaction again on a second server.

If you want full failover support then you have to implement load balancing + tomcat clustering. Tomcat clustering is quite difficult to implement and there are significant technical challenges - particularly the amount of session data that must be exchanged between participating nodes. My advice would be to not attempt this unless you have no alternative.

Regards
Jon
1 x

xren
Ebase User

Postby xren » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi Jon,

When you say tomcat load balancing, do you mean apache mod_jk or mod_proxy?

Xiaoli
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:35 pm

Actually I didn't mean either of these, I meant the balancer webapp that used to be shipped with Tomcat. But I can't find any reference to this in the more recent versions of the Tomcat documentation so maybe it wasn't such a good suggestion in the first place! We don't have any direct experience of either apache mod_jk or mod_proxy, but I'm sure they will be fine if you choose to use them. The most important requirement is support for sticky sessions.
0 x

xren
Ebase User

Postby xren » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Thank you. :)
0 x