Roadmap for Version 5 Beta

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading to V5, including problems starting and using the Ebase Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Roadmap for Version 5 Beta

Postby dvanhussel » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:13 am

Hi,

In some forum posts Ebase staff have stated that some fixes are allready done in new builds of V5 Beta.

Is it possible to apply those fixes to my installations of V5 beta or that you release a new build periodicically, for example once every 2 weeks or so?

Do you have any expectations on when V5 will be released for production use?

Regards,

David
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:44 am

Hi David,

We hope to be able to send out another Beta sometime in the next week or so. As for a final release I cannot give a firm date, but it will be fairly soon after the next Beta.

As for upgrading the Beta to the next Beta/release....

We do not generally support upgrading from a Beta to another release.

Since the V5 Beta release we have changed quite a few things and fix many bugs. There are runtime database changes and changes to some existing Java libraries.

An option could be to install the new version 5 release and copy your existing workspace files and server config files into the new releases workspace/server config locations. We can help you do that...

I am sure that if you would really want to upgrade your existing Beta release, then we can help you through Ebase support when the next version is available.

Kind regards

Steve Upton
0 x

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Postby dvanhussel » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:50 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your answers! I understand that supporting Beta->beta upgrades is difficult. When a bug is found or something unexpected happens, it will be hard to determine of it was caused by a 'real bug' or an upgrade problem.
For me, a fresh installation of the new build would be just fine.

Moving the workspace between installations should be easy, as this one of the key features of this new version, I think :)

Great news to hear that the production version will be released fairly soon after the next beta release. We are about to start a fairly large new project that will be developed in Ebase and I'm really looking forward to be using the new designer capabilities.

Regards,

David
0 x