Running Version 5 Beta on OS X

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading to V5, including problems starting and using the Ebase Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

sstillwell
Ebase User

Running Version 5 Beta on OS X

Postby sstillwell » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:47 am

I can't quite figure out how to start up the designer on OS X. The bundled JRE is for Windows, but if I edit the start script to just use the system JRE, I get an error:

Code: Select all

UfsClient  ./start_ebase_designer.sh
Error: Could not find or load main class ..lib.ufs.jar
Any ideas? The only edit I've made is to remove the ./jre/bin/ from the java command so that it pulls java from the existing system PATH.

Java version is:

UfsClient  java -version
java version "1.8.0_45"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_45-b14)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.45-b02, mixed mode)
Thanks in advance...

Scott
0 x

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Postby dvanhussel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:42 am

Hi,

First of all, I'm not an OS X user, but I know a bit about Java on Linux.
Maybe not a real 'clean' solution, but does it work if you supply the full path instead of a relative path to ufs.jar?

Something like this:

java -Xms256m -Xmx256m -Xss512k -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=true -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -DServerHost=localhost -DServerPort=3030 -DServerWebapp=ufs -Dlog4j.configuration=file:./properties/log4j.properties -DhandshakeDebug=true -cp $UFS_CLASSPATH -DhandshakeDebug=true -jar /full/path/to/lib/ufs.jar

Another option would be to remove the 'jre' folder from the Ebase folders and make symlinks named 'jre' to the folder configured in the system PATH

Regards,

David
0 x

sstillwell
Ebase User

Postby sstillwell » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Good ideas - I'll give them a try later today or tomorrow when I get a chance.

Thanks,

Scott
0 x

sstillwell
Ebase User

Postby sstillwell » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:20 pm

I'm afraid I get the same results with both changes.

Whether I use a full path to the ufs.jar library or replace the jre folder with a symlink to the Oracle Java JRE, the same thing happens when I start to launch:

Error: Could not find or load main class ..lib.ufs.jar
I'm not sure if the replacement of / by . in the error message is relevant or not.

I copied the downloaded zip to a Windows 10 Preview VM that I had and extracted and launched it there - worked as expected. I note that the start .bat file has more environment variables and such set - I may continue to tinker with that and see what I get.
0 x

sstillwell
Ebase User

Postby sstillwell » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:07 pm

Okay, it seems that the culprit(s) are two:

1) the included JRE is for Windows. Remove the relative path and allow it to pull java from the system PATH

2) the start_ebase_designer.sh script does not contain the same environment variables as the DOS .bat file...specifically it's missing UFS_CLIENT_DIR, which appears to be necessary. I'm using '.' since I'm manually launching directly from the client directory - maybe I'll be more creative and flexible later.

The following will allow it to launch - not sure if there's more errors to be found yet or not, but at least it launches...

# Start Ebase Xi Designer under Linux, Unix, Mac
UFS_CLASSPATH=./properties
UFS_CLIENT_DIR=.
java -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -Xss512k -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=true -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dlog4j.configuration=file:./properties/log4j.properties -cp $UFS_CLASSPATH -jar ./lib/ufs.jar
0 x