Integrated versus External server

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading to V5, including problems starting and using the Ebase Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Steve James
Ebase User

Integrated versus External server

Postby Steve James » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:38 am

Hi, I installed a stand alone version of beta5 and it looks very good. I've now taken a copy of our DEV environment and upgraded that.

We have 5 form writers who previously developed against our DEV environment and then we deploy into TEST then PRD. This has worked very well over the years.
It would appear that the integrated server option isn't possible us as we do not allow direct client access to some of our databases.

I set the server to point at the workspace created by the upgrade (D:\ebase_beta5\Workspace). I then pointed the client running on my local pc at the same workspace (ie \\devserver\D$\ebase_beta5\Workspace).

Now the designer runs incredibly slowly, it takes over 45 seconds for the designer to load and then more than 45 seconds for the entity tree and data dictionary to refresh. The entity tree keeps refreshing and therefore causes issues.

I copied the workspace to my local PC and performance of the designer is good. I'm perplexed, is the suggestion that we need to deploy to the DEV environment just to run forms? This seems a bit strange or have I not clicked on something?

Thanks
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:20 am

Steve,

The design concept in V5 is that developers are working on their own PC's both to develop and test. Co-ordination with other developers is via a source control system such as SVN. So developers are checking their work into and out of SVN. I can see that for this to work, you would need to grant access to your test databases to all your developers - don't they implicitly have this access when they connect to your DEV system?

Developers would probably then deploy to a group TEST system which you could treat as a consolidation system or pre-production. Though it is also possible to check out from SVN into such a system instead of using deploy.

It probably isn't feasible to connect a designer to a networked workspace, unless it's very small, because as you discovered it's just too slow.

Regards
Jon
0 x

Steve James
Ebase User

Postby Steve James » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks Jon, food for thought.

I'm sure we'll get a better handle on things over time.
0 x