Server Administration server does not start

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading to V5, including problems starting and using the Ebase Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Segi
Ebase User

Server Administration server does not start

Postby Segi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:43 pm

I edited the server settings under the Test Server tab in preferences to match my servers' configuration but when I press Ctrl+Shift+A I get an error local server not started. If I try to viewto the execution log I get an error "local server not started or cannot be contacted on URL http://localhost:3030/ebase/designer) (See File->Preferences->test Server) but I am not running eBase on port 3030. Its running on port 80. It seems that designer isn't honoring the setting for the port and is going with the default port
0 x

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Postby dvanhussel » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi Segi,

Have you tried stopping and starting the Ebase Designer after changing te settings?
When I did a similar thing, changes where applied after restarting the designer.
I think this is a bug, but it's not hard to work around.

Regards,

David
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:13 pm

Dan,

After restarting designer it shows that the internal server is running but I can't access the Server Admin. When I try to load it I get the error

Form not found: ebaseAdmin for the URL http://localhost/ebasetest/ebaseAdmin.eb
0 x

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Postby dvanhussel » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Are you using the default workspace or a new workspace you created yourself?

The workspace that you use should contain the forms that are supplied by Ebase for managing the server. I got the same error when I tried to manage the server from the designer when I was using a newly created workspace.

When you use a workspace without these forms, you can develop and test your own forms in the internal server, but you cannot manage the server.

Because I like the idea of having a clean workspace, only containing the parts for the project I'm working on, I tried using an empty workspace. This seems to work just fine, you 'only' miss the server administration.

One solution might be to use 2 workspaces, the default and your own.
When you need to manage the server use the default, for developing your forms, use your own workspace.

I've tried this and that works just fine, for example, database resources added to the server when using the default workspace are visible when your own workspace is used.

Mind you, I'm just an Ebase user, that has used this beta for a couple of hours :D
I think Ebase staff can tell us if working like this is considered good practice or not.

When using a workspace containing all Ebase supplied entities is mandatory, I think a useful addition to the designer would be the ability tor mark projects as 'hidden' to hide them and a button to show 'hidden projects'. This would prevent the list of entities of becoming 'cluttered' with items that are not of interest for the forms you currently work on.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:16 pm

Dan,

When I opened the designer for the first time after the upgrade, I created a new workspace
0 x