Database Resources to be created inside of business project

Post any suggestions or enhancement requests about the Verj.io platform or this Forum

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Segi
Ebase User

Database Resources to be created inside of business project

Postby Segi » Mon May 12, 2014 10:32 pm

I would really like to have the ability to create database resources inside of my business project

The current hierarchical form of a business project in designer is:

Business Projects
My Business Project
Forms
Scripts

I really think that it would be a good idea to have an additional tree under Scripts called Database Resources where you can create resources specific to that project.

Any resources that are created under this folder should automatically be available to all forms in that specific project (without regard to the business view) and would be considered a local database resource.

If a form is tied to a business view (as it is usually done now), the form will also inherit any resources linked to that business view and be considered a global resource which can be used by multiple projects.

I'd say that at least 90% of the time, I create database resources that are very specific for 1 project. It would be much more convenient to be able to see all of the resources for that project in one place instead of under IT Elements->External Resources->Database Resources

This would give developers the advantage of being able to see all database resources organized by project. It is a little cumbersome to scroll through a long list of ~60-80 database resources to find a specific one.

Also, when you delete a project, you'd automatically delete all of its resources instead of having to manually do so as you do at the moment.

When creating a resources this way, Designer should still require that the resource name be unique whether it is a global or local database resource.
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Tue May 13, 2014 7:17 am

This is included in Ebase V5.0 where you have the ability to create all elements anywhere in the tree. V5.0 development is currently active and we have not yet set a release date.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Tue May 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Jon,

I am glad to hear this but I hope you guys can consider my suggestion of automatically including resources when they are nested under a business project
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Tue May 13, 2014 2:49 pm

Unfortunately it's not possible to use a Database Resource without including it in a Business View. This is a subject that we looked at in V5.0 (with a view to removing Business Views altogether) but we couldn't find a way to do it - the reason is to do with how resources are referenced from scripts, especially in V5.0.

We should look at this subject again after V5.0 is released.
0 x

HarryDeBoer
Ebase User

Postby HarryDeBoer » Fri May 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi Jon,

do I understand correctly that a business view can also be hung under a business project ('anywhere in the tree'). This way you could have 1 BV per BP and that would solve Sgi's issue also I guess.
0 x
Kind regards,

Harry

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Fri May 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Harry,

What I was describing is a little bit different. I had suggested that each Business Project have a Database Resources tree under scripts. Any resources created there would not have to be tied to any business view because they would be included automatically into that specific project (Seems intuitive to me to do it that way since you are saying "These resources belong to this specific BP).
0 x

HarryDeBoer
Ebase User

Postby HarryDeBoer » Sat May 17, 2014 4:03 am

Hi Segi,

I am aware that you disrcibed it different (without a business view), but my thought was that if a business view is in the tree under a project, then deleting a project would also delete the business view and the resources. Also you can see all the resources within a project because there is only one bv under a project. So that would tackle your 'issues' for the most - if it is confirmed by Ebasetech that this is indeed the way it's gonne work.
0 x
Kind regards,

Harry