Information Message

Post any suggestions or enhancement requests about the Verj.io platform or this Forum

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

geadon
Ebase User

Information Message

Postby geadon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:31 am

It would quite handy and save time if we could create information messages in the same way as the warning an error messages. This would allow us to easily style the message differently without having add extra controls to a page.

For example

Code: Select all

event.owner.AddInfoMessage("Record Updated");
0 x

Steve James
Ebase User

Postby Steve James » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:21 am

+1
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:37 pm

If you just want to display an informational message to your end users, why don't you use event.owner.addWarningMessage which doesn't stop execution of the current form ?

I have a function in a globally shared script that's defined like this:

Code: Select all

function alert(msg,forceAlertControl) {
	   var cssStyle="DIV STYLE='font-size:0'>DIV style='display: inline-block;background-color:yellow;font-weight:bold;font-size:14px;'>"

if (typeof forceAlertControl !== 'undefined' && controls.getControl(forceAlertControl) != null) { 
	        controls.getControl&#40;forceAlertControl&#41;.addWarningMessage&#40;cssStyle + msg + "</DIV></DIV>"&#41;;
	   &#125; else &#123;
          event.owner.addWarningMessage&#40;cssStyle + msg + "</DIV></DIV>"&#41;;
	   &#125;
&#125;
I don't need to add any controls to my form to use this. If I want the alert to appear in a specific area, I bind it to a control by passing the control name as an optional argument.

The CSS styling makes it look like a highlighted sentence.

This is what it looks like in action: http://imgur.com/a/DMLd8

EDIT: I removed < before the 2 DIVs in the variable cssStyle because they were causing the HTML to not appear in the post. Make sure to add them back if you decide to use this code.
0 x

geadon
Ebase User

Postby geadon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks Segi.

Although your solution would certainly do the job, however, the reason we use Ebase for development is to do a lot of the work for us and make it quicker to develop applications. Although I welcome the extra flexibility recent versions of Ebase has introduced, if additional coding is required for simple tasks then it kind of defeats the object of using a development tool.

Appreciate your response and will look to implement your suggested solution, but would be much simpler and run inline with current Ebase functionality if a styled info message was added to the presentation templates.
0 x

Steve James
Ebase User

Postby Steve James » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:56 am

if additional coding is required for simple tasks then it kind of defeats the object of using a development tool.
I can't find the post as it was some time ago but I think Ebase has changed track in that new 'palette' items are not created in updates to the software.

We'd like to see things like dialogs easily configurable from the palette menu.
We've a number of developers who haven't come from a development background or use the product in a limited way as they do not know the difference between server/client side. Libraries like JQuery are incredibly powerful but can take people a long time to get their head around.

The server side changes have been incredibly powerful, eg being able to consume REST services so easily has really been a great thing.

Thanks
0 x

Jon

Re: Information Message

Postby Jon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:21 pm

Info messages have been added to V5.3 e.g.

event.owner.addInfoMessage("Profile saved successfully");

These can be separately styled in the same way as for error and warning messages.
0 x

Steve James
Ebase User

Postby Steve James » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 am

Great, when is 5.3 due to land?
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Should be Jan 2018
1 x

geadon
Ebase User

Postby geadon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:25 am

Excellent - Thank you for this. Looking forward to the update, it has been a long time since v5.2 was released.
0 x