Upgrading from Ebase 5.2 to Verj.io 5.3.2

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

neilnewman
Ebase User

Upgrading from Ebase 5.2 to Verj.io 5.3.2

Postby neilnewman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:28 pm

I have just downloaded the Verj.io product onto my PC and wondered how we go about upgrading from Ebase 5.2.
Would we need a new ebase license key?
Is there a set of instructions covering the migration from 5.2 to 5.3.2?
Is there also a list of changes/reasons to upgrade?
0 x

geadon
Ebase User

Re: Upgrading from Ebase 5.2 to Verj.io 5.3.2

Postby geadon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Same here... don't want to have to re-configure the entire server, and the same with the designer. Are there update instructions for that too?
0 x

geadon
Ebase User

Postby geadon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:47 pm

I've managed to migrate my integrated server from 5.2.0 to 5.3.2 by first pointing the verj.io to the old workspace and then copied the web app root folder from C:\ebaseXi_5.2.0\UfsClient\IntegratedServer\ebasetest to C:\Verjio\5_3_2\VerjioStudio\UfsClient\IntegratedServer\ebasetest. This seems to have copied across all the server config and other includes that were needed.

Hope this helps, but some 'official' instructions would be nice :D
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:27 am

Sorry about the confusion! V5.3.2 was released to the Verj.io cloud platform a few days ago, but we are still putting together the upgrade package which should be available shortly. There will then be an announcement on this forum and also on the Ebase Customer Portal.
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Thanks for the update Jon, is there any info regarding new features etc?
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:57 pm

If you have a V5.3.2 system click Help > Index > What's new in this release. There isn't a publicly available page yet.
0 x

Steve James
Ebase User

Postby Steve James » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:48 am

0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 am

Hi Steve,
So to upgrade from our "On premise server" 5.2 installations, I would:
Install a new instance of Verj.io.5.3.2
Export our 5.2 projects and import them into the new 5.3.2 installations?

In our 5.2 installation I am aware of a number of changes/additions that we have made to the installation, such as:
A number of extra Java class files
Tomcat config changes etc, I presume I need to manually re-apply these changes to the 5.3.2 installation?
Do we need a new license key for 5.3.2?

Many thanks
Neil
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Neil,

You can either install a new version of the V5.3.2 or upgrade you existing 5.2. Both solutions should work. And all the download links are available from the customer portal.

If you install a new version of 5.3.2, you will can point the 5.3.2 server workspace at the 5.2 workspace... this should work fine. I would take a backup of the workspace first anyway. But we do not need to upgrade any files from 5.2 to 5.3.2.

The extra classes. I would need to have a look at the files that have been changed/added and review them on a class by class basis. There have been many bug fixes in 5.3.2, so some classes will not be required anymore. If you zip up the classes folder from the <ebase-install-dir>/UfsServer/tomcat/webapps/ebase/WEB-INF/classes of the 5.2 system and send them to support@ebasetech.com, I will take a look.

Your existing licence should still work.

Steve
0 x

zoltan
Ebase User

Postby zoltan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi,

Could you make an update regarding the 5.3.2 Community edition's license ?
I've downloaded the Studio and in the Server Admin App in the License section at Maximum concurrent users it shows 2 (it used to be 10). Is it only for the Studio (the built-in server) or for the on-premise production Server as well ?
In your site at on-premise pricing/licensing section there is nothing which could inform about the exact license conditions regarding the Community edition.
Regards.
Zoltan
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:22 pm

Well spotted, the Community Edition licence has indeed changed from 10 users to 2. This applies wherever this licence is used - studio and/or all on-premise servers.
0 x

Dave
Ebase Staff

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Information about Community Edition licensing and support can be found in the Knowledgebase On-premise section.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:06 am

I've run into a problem upgrading one of my instances of /ebase 5.2.0 to 5.3.2.

The first instance of Ebase that I upgraded from 5.2 to 5.3.2 worked perfectly.

On this instance, after I edit UFSSetup.properties and add upgrade=true, I start the server by running the batch file start_ebase_server.bat and get this error:

Code: Select all

SEVERE: ContainerBase.addChild: start: 
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/ufs]]
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:895)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:871)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:615)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:649)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1585)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassFormatException: Invalid byte tag in constant pool: 18
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.Constant.readConstant(Constant.java:131)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ConstantPool.<init>(ConstantPool.java:60)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassParser.readConstantPool(ClassParser.java:209)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassParser.parse(ClassParser.java:119)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsStream(ContextConfig.java:2032)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsJar(ContextConfig.java:1923)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsUrl(ContextConfig.java:1891)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotations(ContextConfig.java:1877)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.webConfig(ContextConfig.java:1270)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.configureStart(ContextConfig.java:855)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:345)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:90)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5161)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
	... 10 more
In C:\EbaseXI5\jre I have JRE 1.8.0_161 and the upgrade doc says you need at least build 144.

I followed the upgrade instructions carefully twice and am getting this error.

I'd appreciate any help because I'm stuck and can't continue any further

Before starting the upgrade, I made a backup of my Ebase folder. Just for the fun of it. I double checked and the pre-upgrade version of Ebase which is 5.2.0 runs perfectly without any error so there's a problem thats being instroduced during the upgrade process.
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 am

I've seen this problem before - I think it's a Tomcat problem and applies to quite a few different Tomcat levels. Which version of Tomcat do you have on your two systems? I'm afraid you probably need to upgrade your Tomcat as well - I recommend the latest 8.5 version.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Jon,

I'm on Tomcat 8.0.

When upgrading, I downloaded the Windows x64 Core zip file and copied the contents of each folder in tomcat (bin,lib etc) overwriting the files in the tomcat folder in my ebase install. Is that correct ?

If so, that made things worse when starting Ebase and now I get many errors when attemping to start Ebase
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:05 am

Segi,

I don't claim any special expertise in upgrading Tomcat and we don't seem to have a set of standard instructions. But your approach sounds OK to me and I've used it in the past to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.5:

1. Copy tomcat/lib and tomcat/bin
2. Eliminate any duplicates e.g. ecj-4.6.3.jar and ecj-3.7.2.jar
3. I may also have used the old start up scripts startup.bat and catalina.bat in tomcat/bin - I'm not sure about this

What errors do you get?

Jon
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi Segi,

I use the following steps to install the Tomcat releases, and it appears to work OK (Note the port numbers used here are for our setup, so look at your original numbers and re-implement them, good luck!:

Download the latest 64bit Windows release of Tomcat 8.5 from https://tomcat.apache.org/download-80.cgi

Unzip this into a temporary location.

Shutdown the Ebase instance.

Copy the existing Tomcat installation to a backup location (NB: Use robocopy or you will get warned about over long filenames
i.e: robocopy /s /e D:\Ebase\<instance> D:\Ebase\<instance>.22.05.2017

Copy the following folders from the new release:
Bin
Lib
Conf

Plus all the top level .txt files (4 of them)
Copy the catalina.bat file from the Ebase/tomcat/bin backup that you took.

Adjust the logging.properties file to reduce the logging as in the current live settings.

Delete the contents of the work and temp directory

Edit the server.xml file and change the port number depending on the instance being upgraded, for i.e: DBC-LIVE change:
<Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
connectionTimeout="20000"
redirectPort="8443" />
TO:
<Connector port="3030" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
connectionTimeout="20000"
redirectPort="8443" />

Change the following section for DBC-LIVE (NOTE THERE IS NO CHANGE FOR LIVE ON THE SHUTDOWN IT USES THE DEFAULT PORT):

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
<!-- Security listener. Documentation at /docs/config/listeners.html
<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityListener" />
TO:
<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
<!-- Security listener. Documentation at /docs/config/listeners.html
<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityListener" />

<!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
<Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />
TO:
<!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
<Connector port="8429" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR INTERNAL EBASE WITH AD VIA IIS SETUP:
Add the following to the redirecor port definition:
tomcatAuthentication="false"
So it looks like:
<Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" tomcatAuthentication="false" />

Check the runtime version of Java within the client and upgrade if required by copying a new 64bit jre set of files into D:\Ebase\capita-ebase-live\jre and D:\Ebase\capita-ebase-live\UfsClient\jre and onto any client PC.

REGEDIT REQUIRED VERSION CHANGES (cosmetic to reflect different version of Tomcat now running)

Delete backup folder that has over-long filenames:
mkdir empty_dir
robocopy empty_dir the_dir_to_delete /s /mir
rmdir empty_dir
rmdir the_dir_to_delete

i.e:
mkdir empty_dir
robocopy empty_dir D:\Ebase\dbc-ebase-internal.17.05.2017 /s /mir
rmdir empty_dir
rmdir D:\Ebase\dbc-ebase-internal.29.05.2017
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:05 pm

I followed most of your instructions although there are a few things that weren't clear.

I started off with a working copy of 5.2.0 that loads correctly.

I didn't understand 2 of the steps that you outlined like

1. Adjust the logging.properties file to reduce the logging as in the current live settings.
(I didn't modify this file. Not sure if its crucial but probably not)

2. REGEDIT REQUIRED VERSION CHANGES (cosmetic to reflect different version of Tomcat now running)
I didn't make any regedit changes since you didn't specify what to do.

In server.xml, the only change that I had to make was to add the connector

<Connector port="8429" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />
Everything else was already identical in server.xml

I also didn't do anything with deleting backup folder that has over long file names because thats not an issue in my case

I am still on 5.2.0 at this point but Tomcat is supposed to be upgraded to 8.5

When I start the server now using start_ebase_server.bat I see a bunch of non error related messages then this exception but ebase isn't working and isnt accessible:

java.lang.NoClassDefError: kavax/transaction/NotSupportedException.

I found this in localhost.2018-02-08.log that gives more details:

08-Feb-2018 11:56:13.060 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log ContextListener: contextInitialized()
08-Feb-2018 11:56:13.060 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log SessionListener: contextInitialized()
08-Feb-2018 11:56:13.060 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log ContextListener: attributeAdded('StockTicker', 'async.Stockticker@1fddee7a')
08-Feb-2018 11:56:17.701 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log StandardWrapper.Throwable
 java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/transaction/NotSupportedException
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.designer.server.DesignerServlet.init(DesignerServlet.java:351)
	at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:158)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.initServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1183)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1099)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:989)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:4931)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5241)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:752)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:728)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:734)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1141)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1875)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.transaction.NotSupportedException
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1291)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1119)
	... 18 more

08-Feb-2018 11:56:17.701 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup Servlet [Designer] in web application [/ufs] threw load() exception
 java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.transaction.NotSupportedException
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1291)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1119)
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.designer.server.DesignerServlet.init(DesignerServlet.java:351)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.initServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1183)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1099)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:4931)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5241)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:752)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1875)

08-Feb-2018 11:56:17.701 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log StandardWrapper.Throwable
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.batch.BatchServer.init(BatchServer.java:104)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.transaction.NotSupportedException
	... 18 more

08-Feb-2018 11:56:17.701 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup Servlet [BatchServer] in web application [/ufs] threw load() exception
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.batch.BatchServer.init(BatchServer.java:104)

at com.ebasetech.ufs.workflow.server.enactment.WorkflowWorkQueueServlet.init(WorkflowWorkQueueServlet.java:41)
	... 18 more

08-Feb-2018 11:56:17.701 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup Servlet [WorkflowServlet] in web application [/ufs] threw load() exception
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.workflow.server.enactment.WorkflowWorkQueueServlet.init(WorkflowWorkQueueServlet.java:41)

08-Feb-2018 11:56:17.701 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log Marking servlet [XFireIntegrationServlet] as unavailable
08-Feb-2018 11:56:17.701 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup Servlet [XFireIntegrationServlet] in web application [/ufs] threw load() exception
 java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
	at org.codehaus.xfire.transport.http.XFireServlet.<clinit>(XFireServlet.java:35)
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.DefaultInstanceManager.newInstance(DefaultInstanceManager.java:151)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1050)

08-Feb-2018 11:56:18.216 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log StandardWrapper.Throwable
	at formservlets.EbaseStartupServlet.init(EbaseStartupServlet.java:39)
	... 18 more

08-Feb-2018 11:56:18.216 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup Servlet [EbaseStartupServlet] in web application [/ufs] threw load() exception
	at formservlets.EbaseStartupServlet.init(EbaseStartupServlet.java:39)
Heres my catalina-2018-02-08.log which seems to be the same messages that I see at startup

08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.482 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server version:        Apache Tomcat/8.5.27
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server built:          Jan 18 2018 20:12:40 UTC
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server number:         8.5.27.0
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS Name:               Windows Server 2012 R2
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS Version:            6.3
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Architecture:          amd64
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Java Home:             C:\ebaseXi5\jre
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM Version:           1.8.0_161-b12
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM Vendor:            Oracle Corporation
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log CATALINA_BASE:         C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log CATALINA_HOME:         C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Xms1024m
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Xmx4096m
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Dphp.java.bridge.php_exec=C:\ebaseXi\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\JavaBridgeTemplate621\php\php
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Dderby.system.home=C:\ebaseXi5\UFSSER~1\/DB
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Dhttp.nonProxyHosts=localhost|127.0.0.1
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\ebaseXi5\UFSSER~1\\tomcat\conf\logging.properties
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Djava.endorsed.dirs=
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Dcatalina.base=C:\ebaseXi5\UFSSER~1\\tomcat
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Dcatalina.home=C:\ebaseXi5\UFSSER~1\\tomcat
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Command line argument: -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\ebaseXi5\UFSSER~1\\tomcat\temp
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent Loaded APR based Apache Tomcat Native library [1.2.16] using APR version [1.6.3].
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent APR capabilities: IPv6 [true], sendfile [true], accept filters [false], random [true].
08-Feb-2018 11:56:11.498 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent APR/OpenSSL configuration: useAprConnector [false], useOpenSSL [true]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.185 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.initializeSSL OpenSSL successfully initialized [OpenSSL 1.0.2m  2 Nov 2017]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.310 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8080"]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.419 INFO [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioSelectorPool.getSharedSelector Using a shared selector for servlet write/read
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.435 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio-8009"]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.435 INFO [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioSelectorPool.getSharedSelector Using a shared selector for servlet write/read
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.435 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio-8429"]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.435 INFO [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioSelectorPool.getSharedSelector Using a shared selector for servlet write/read
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.435 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Initialization processed in 1337 ms
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.451 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Starting service [Catalina]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.451 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/8.5.27
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.466 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\docs]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.763 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\docs] has finished in [297] ms
08-Feb-2018 11:56:12.763 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\examples]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:13.076 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\examples] has finished in [313] ms
08-Feb-2018 11:56:13.076 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\host-manager]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:13.091 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\host-manager] has finished in [15] ms
08-Feb-2018 11:56:13.091 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\manager]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:13.123 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\manager] has finished in [32] ms
08-Feb-2018 11:56:13.123 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\ROOT]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:13.138 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\ROOT] has finished in [15] ms
08-Feb-2018 11:56:13.138 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\ufs]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:17.076 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.jasper.servlet.TldScanner.scanJars At least one JAR was scanned for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable debug logging for this logger for a complete list of JARs that were scanned but no TLDs were found in them. Skipping unneeded JARs during scanning can improve startup time and JSP compilation time.
08-Feb-2018 11:56:18.216 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web application directory [C:\ebaseXi5\UfsServer\tomcat\webapps\ufs] has finished in [5,078] ms
08-Feb-2018 11:56:18.216 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8080"]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:18.232 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio-8009"]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:18.232 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio-8429"]
08-Feb-2018 11:56:18.232 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 5806 ms
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:07 am

The logging changes were only to reduce down the log level, we reduce most from FINE to SEVERE, so nothing important for you here.

The regedit we do is just to reflect the Tomcat version change, so I just edit the regitry keys that contain the Tomcat version number seen in the SERVICES listing:
"Apache Tomcat 8.5.27 Server - http://tomcat.apache.org/"

I expect you will need help from an Ebase employee, but it could be due to a file in your lib directory that either should not be there or should be at a newer release, you could try moving your lib folder aside and just install it with the default files deployed with Tomcat 8.2.xx, then restart Tomcat and check the log to see what is missing and add them one at a time.
NB: I have attached a screenshot of our lib folder for our Tomcat 8.5.27 installation running Ebase 5.2.0
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:08 am

Lost the screen shots so hopefully are attached now

0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 am

I agree with Neil - it sounds like something is wrong or missing in tomcat/lib. The transaction jars (this is for your reported error) should be:

jta-1.1.jar
jts-1.0.jar

..but it is possible that this error is caused by another jar file error. I'd check that all the tomcat/lib files have been copied and that you don't have any duplicates.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:20 pm

When copying the bin lib and conf folders from Tomcat 8.5 am i supposed to keep the existing tomcat 8 folders and overwrite any old jars with the new one or backup these 3 folders from my existing Tomcat 8.0 to a new location and only use the jars from the Tomcat 8.5 installation ?
Last edited by Segi on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi Segi,

You need to copy all the files from the tomcat/lib folder into the system you are upgrading, replacing any files when prompted and remove any files that look like duplicates. These files should have the same names, but different version numbers.

Kind regards

Steve
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:34 pm

I'm about ready to give up on upgrading Ebase. I really wish Ebase would put together a proper installer to make this easier.

For whatever reason, trying to upgrade Tomcat completely borks my install. I downloaded apache-tomcat-8.5.27-windows-x64 and extracted it. I copied the contents of tomcat\bin to my tomcat\bin overwriting the files and did the same for lib.

With the conf folder, I copied all of the files except server.xmls, tomcat-users.xml and web.xml into my existing tomcat\conf folder

When I try to start ebase I get an error

'127.0.0.1" "-Djdk.tls.ephemeralDHKeySize' is not recognized as an internal or e
xternal command,
operable program or batch file.

The one Ebase server that I was able to successfully update from 5.2.0 to 5.3.2 is running Tomcat 8.0.26.0 with JRE 1.8.0_77-b03. Its main web app is also named ufs. I don't think that the version of Tomcat is the issue here since my other install with Tomcat 8.0 worked fine
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 am

I think the message means that you aren't using Java 8. The -Djdk.tls.ephemeralDHKeySize parameter is in the Tomcat startup (catalina.bat) for Tomcat 8.5 and won't work unless you are using Java 8.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Jon,

Through trial and error while attempting to upgrade to Tomcat 8.5, I found that that error is caused by the version of catalina.bat that is shipped with Tomcat 8.5 and I got that error even though I was on Java 8 (1.8.0) already. As I mentioned, I really don't think that the original issue is related to the version of Tomcat itself since I was able to upgrade one of my servers running Tomcat 8.0 successfully.
Jon wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 am
I think the message means that you aren't using Java 8. The -Djdk.tls.ephemeralDHKeySize parameter is in the Tomcat startup (catalina.bat) for Tomcat 8.5 and won't work unless you are using Java 8.
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Yes you're right - sorry, my last response was wrong. It's the "127.0.0.1" that's upsetting it and this is coming from:
-Dhttp.nonProxyHosts="localhost|127.0.0.1"
in start_ebase_server.bat. It's something to do with handling the pipe character |
Can you try removing this http.nonProxyHosts parameter - it's no longer required.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Just an update. I managed to "upgrade"/"patch" the messed up installation of Ebase that I was trying to upgrade to 5.3.2.

I wanted to post this in case anyone else runs into this issue during the upgrade.

The first Ebase instance that I upgraded from 5.2 to 5.3 worked fine so I used it as the basis for my upgrade. I'm guessing that you could do a fresh install and perform an upgrade on the fresh installation the same way that I did this with a previously upgraded instance.

I took the entire Ebase folder from the working instance and copied it to this server that I was not able to upgrade and replaced the files from the broken Ebase instance into the working one.

The most important files that I needed to copy are:
UFSServer\DB (All files)
UFSServer\tomcat\conf\tomcat-users.xml
UFSServer\tomcat\conf\server.xml
UFSServer\tomcat\conf\web.xml
UFSServer\tomcat\ebaseConf\databases (All files)
SSL certificate files which were located in C:\ebaseXi5 of my broken instance to the root Ebase folder
Any other missing files from the broken UFS folder into the good UFS folder
Workspace directory

There probably were a file other files that I didn't mention above but those were the most crucial files.

Since the DB was older, I also had to do a one time DB upgrade by setting upgrade=true in UFSServer.properties to force Ebase to upgrade the DB.

When running start_ebase_server.bat now, the server runs fine without any errors on 5.3.2.

I really wish that Ebase would develop an installer to do an upgrade.
0 x