automaticly updating data

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading to V5, including problems starting and using the Ebase Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

HarryDeBoer
Ebase User

automaticly updating data

Postby HarryDeBoer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi

I wonder how - if possible- you could automaticly update Forms when changes are made to the data in EbaseXi (like other frameworks do with websockets or something like it - for example Meteor.js). So, no timer or fetch commands but real time data changes refelected immediatly on the screen.
0 x
Kind regards,

Harry

HarryDeBoer
Ebase User

Postby HarryDeBoer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:22 pm

Anyone :)
0 x
Kind regards,

Harry

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:29 pm

Can you please explain what you mean ?

Do you want to update the form after server side changes are made ? I.E after a server side script has finished executing ?
0 x

HarryDeBoer
Ebase User

Postby HarryDeBoer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:58 am

Has nothing to do with finishing server side scripts, nor polling nor reacting on events. When data changes the UI automaticly updates (live - real time). One of the examples I mentioned was Meteor.js (with there own implementation of websockets). Just wondered if this was possible with ebase and if so, how.
0 x
Kind regards,

Harry

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:20 am

Harry,

You would do this with a timer in the client Javascript that then calls the server with $eb.executeFunction() to refresh the data. You need the third parameter set to true to get the page to refresh e.g. $eb.executeFunction("func1", null, true). Not sure if this is what you were after as you said "no timer or fetch commands".

Jon
0 x

HarryDeBoer
Ebase User

Postby HarryDeBoer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:47 am

Hi Jon,

No this is not what I mean. See f.ex: http://manual.meteor.com/#deps-overview on reactive programming. It's based on websockets where you subscribe to a publisher once and every time the data changes the UI gets updated (without timers etc.)
0 x
Kind regards,

Harry

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:18 am

Harry,

I haven't read all of this, but first impressions are that there isn't anything built into Ebase to help you. If you are sourcing your data externally then I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work - you would need to add the Javascript to the client and update the HTML directly - this bypasses the Ebase server completely. I don't know how you might implement it if you wanted to source the data from the Ebase server e.g. pickup changes made to a database. You would need to do some investigation to see if this is possible.

Regards
Jon
0 x

HarryDeBoer
Ebase User

Postby HarryDeBoer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:15 am

Hi Jon,

Bypassing the Ebase server was not my intention. I was just wondering if it was possible (and maybe even if you had it on the roadmap).

BTW I think version 5 is a step forward. Nice work. When would it go in production, and are there estimates for the coming (minor) 5.x releases (as I understood there will be lots of examples/templates/best practices etc.) ?
0 x
Kind regards,

Harry

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:39 pm

Is it possible? maybe, I wouldn't know without trying. It isn't a perfect match for the Ebase server, which generally wakes up when an HTTP request arrives from a user. It isn't designed to have long-running programs that push data outwards. However, most things are possible if you try hard enough.

Is it on the roadmap? No. It would need to have substantial interest from customers to achieve that.

When will V5 be released? the plan is it will be released before the end of October. Before that we hope to produce another beta version - this will be "safe for development" i.e. there won't be any more changes to the format of the workspace files.

How about V5.x versions? there are no concrete plans at the moment. But yes, you are right, we have been discussing a number of changes to make Ebase easier to learn and use for new users (and experienced users!) e.g. better templates, lots of examples and tutorials, adapters for commonly used services, interfaces etc. We are also talking about introducing more HTML5/CSS3 features plus support for phone/tablet layouts and features (camera, geolocation etc). This all has to be pulled into a development plan, so precise details aren't available at the moment.
0 x

Paul_22
Ebase User

Postby Paul_22 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Jon wrote:We are also talking about introducing more HTML5/CSS3 features plus support for phone/tablet layouts and features (camera, geolocation etc).
Yes. This would make the Xi platform much more appealing to new users. I know for a lot of developers iOS and Android is their entire world.

Back on the subject of automatically updating data, I understand version 5.0 isn't easily compatible with the Meteor technology. But... how about something like AJAX, where the database and/or client fields are updated without refreshing the entire page?
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:36 am

Harry,
It's not a problem using AJAX - Ebase already uses this to refresh the page and the $eb client API also uses it. The problem is that Ebase is designed to be a request/response system where the browser client makes a request and the server responds. If I understood Meteor correctly this gets reversed: the server would be driving things and pushing data periodically to the client.
Regards
Jon
0 x

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Postby dvanhussel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:14 am

Jon wrote:Is it possible? maybe, I wouldn't know without trying. It isn't a perfect match for the Ebase server, which generally wakes up when an HTTP request arrives from a user. It isn't designed to have long-running programs that push data outwards. However, most things are possible if you try hard enough.

Is it on the roadmap? No. It would need to have substantial interest from customers to achieve that.

When will V5 be released? the plan is it will be released before the end of October. Before that we hope to produce another beta version - this will be "safe for development" i.e. there won't be any more changes to the format of the workspace files.

How about V5.x versions? there are no concrete plans at the moment. But yes, you are right, we have been discussing a number of changes to make Ebase easier to learn and use for new users (and experienced users!) e.g. better templates, lots of examples and tutorials, adapters for commonly used services, interfaces etc. We are also talking about introducing more HTML5/CSS3 features plus support for phone/tablet layouts and features (camera, geolocation etc). This all has to be pulled into a development plan, so precise details aren't available at the moment.
Do you have an indication of when we can expect this "safe for development" version?

Regards,

David
0 x

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Safe for development version

Postby dvanhussel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:15 am

Sorry for triple-posting. The server took a long time, then it displayed a error that port 110 could not be opened.
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:35 am

We should be releasing a new V5 beta within a few days now and this should be "safe for development".
0 x