Connecting to an existing local database

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

robdoddy
Ebase User

Connecting to an existing local database

Postby robdoddy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:21 am

Hello everyone. First of all, apologies for the noob-ishness of this post, I am a student learning my way around Ebase for a project and its a great program from what I have used so far.

My question is about how to connect to/import a local MS Access database to be used to pull data into a form/table. I have a simple Access DB and I would like to be able to read-write information to some of the tables in the database using a frontend created in Ebase Xi. Having watched all of the tutorial videos on the website and read through the help pages, I am no nearer to understanding how to do this. Is it possible for someone to explain as to whereabouts I need to place the MDB database file in the file folder structure so that I can point Ebase to it, and how I would go about making the connection? Or alternatively link me to a document that explains how to do this? I am running Ebase Xi Community Edition on Windows, with the server and designer on the same OS if that helps.

Sorry to be a pain, any help or tips would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.
0 x

Hovik

Postby Hovik » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Before connecting to MS Access using the Jadazoom driver, files izmjniado.dll and 11100319.LIC should be copied
from the Ebase Xi distribution folder OptionalLibraries/jadozoom to the target Windows server
(Copy the files to C:\Windows\System32 or equivalent, or copy them to C:\Program Files\infozoom)

You then need to define the connection string. One way of doing this is to add it to file ufs.xml in folder UfsServer\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost

I suggest the following steps:

1. Stop the Ebase server

2. Edit file UfsServer\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost\ufs.xml
... navigate to the near the end of the file, find <Resource name="jdbc/MSA1" auth="Container"
... uncomment the block of xml, by removing the leading <!-- and trailing -->
... change MSA1 to any name of your choice in UPPER CASE, say MY_DB1
... adjust the url to point to your MS Access database. The supplied example uses database c:\Databases\FPNWIND.mdb
... save this file

3. Start the Ebase server

4. Start the Ebase client and create a Database element called MY_DB1, database Type MSAccess, Driver type JDBC2, and most important of all set Datasource to MY_DB1

5. Click the Test button. If this does not respond with 'Connection test successful', make sure you've followed step2 as above

Please let me know if you can not get this to work.
0 x