How do I actually deploy a web application?

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

ben123
Ebase User

How do I actually deploy a web application?

Postby ben123 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:07 pm

A (hopefully) very simple question. I have created a simple web application based on the tutorials provided. It runs successfully via the "run" button in the designer, but I how do I deploy as a standalone app? I only need to deploy locally at this stage.

From reading the tomcat documentation, I was expecting Ebase to create a WAR file or similar that drops into the /tomcat/webapps/ folder? However, I have tried both "export" and "deployment manager" and neither of these seem to do this?

I am running Ebase 4.2.1 with the provided stack on Windows 7.

Help appreciated!
0 x

ehmd
Ebase User

Postby ehmd » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Ebase does not generate the forms as a 'standalone app' to be deployed via a WAR file under Tomcat.

The Ebase server is a Tomcat webapp in itself and the forms developed using the designer run within the Ebase webapp.

To access the form(s) you have developed, without using the run button within the designer, the following URL can be called from your browser

http://localhost:3030/ufs/ufsmain?formid=MY_FORM_NAME ( note the URL is case-sensitive and the Form Name must be in capitals )

The 'Export' function is used to generate a transport file for your form(s) and resources which can then be imported into another server e.g Development -> Test, Test-> Live

The 'deployment manager' is used to deploy the exported transport file to another Ebase instance, which can be either local or remote.
0 x

ben123
Ebase User

Postby ben123 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Ok - I see - thanks.

So I guess the same idea applies when I export the forms to a remote Ebase server, just the localhost:3030 bit is replaced with the domain name?

Is there a way to configure it so anyone navigating to the site sees a more conventional URL? Ie to remove the ufs/ufsmain/ bit?
0 x

ehmd
Ebase User

Postby ehmd » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:35 am

Yes, localhost:3030 can be replaced with the domain name. If you are using the Tomcat connector between IIS or Apache, you can also remove the need to specify the port, 3030 in this case.

You can't remove the /ufs/ufsmain/ from the url, so an alternative is to setup a 'friendly' URL that redirects to the form, e.g. www.mysite.com/myform
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:49 am

The 3030 port is configurable. Change this to 80 and you don't need to specify the port on the url. It's configured in server.xml which is in UfsServer/tomcat/conf.
0 x