Printing error

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Simon
Ebase User

Printing error

Postby Simon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:13 am

Morning all

I'm currently having an issue with the Print PDF functionality and I was trying to identify whether this is a bug or how I can get around it.

I am trying to print a table using Ebase's Print PDF functionality. If one of the table fields contains so much text that its comprising row would occupy more than one page, the print fails and a less-than-helpful error message is generated:

Code: Select all

* Unexpected error occurred - see server log * 
Is this a bug in Ebase? If not, can we allow the text-heavy row to spill over onto the next page? Alternatively, is there a way of detecting at run-time whether a table row contains too much text to fit on a page?

Thanks for your help
Simon
0 x

Simon
Ebase User

Postby Simon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:14 am

For info, I have rasied this as a problem log on the customer portal, ref 333277.

Cheers
Simon
0 x

Hovik

Postby Hovik » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:08 am

This is caused a known bug, which is:

Table cells do not expand dynamically in a PDF - Ebase gives null pointer exception errors, resulting in a runtime error:

Code: Select all

* Unexpected error occurred - see server log *
There is no simple workaround and there are no plans to fix the bug in Version 3.4.

A normal textarea field solves the problem as it does expand into as many pages as required.

The technique we recommend:

Using a loop at table:
1. Store all the table cells you need to print in non-table fields (text or textarea as appropriate)
2. Create a PDF for each row, using the above fields
At the end of the loop, put all created PDF's together

We have written 2 custom resources to help with this. These are available from log number 332854 on the customer portal.

Please contact Ebase support for further details.
0 x