Shortcut keys

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Simon
Ebase User

Shortcut keys

Postby Simon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi all

Is there a way to assign shortcut keys to scripts, or is there an OnKeyDown event is something similar in Ebase? I've had a request from a customer who wants to be able to update tables by hitting Ctrl+S, or proceed to the next form by pressing Ctrl+N.

No worries if there's nothing like this at the moment, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something truly wonderful :D

Cheers
Simon
0 x

AJDulk
Ebase User

Re: Shortcut keys

Postby AJDulk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:32 am

Simon,

Ebase does not have the functionality built in out of the box. While it could be done, you would personally have to jump into JavaScript and use some workarounds (in other words, I do not think that it would be trivial functionality).

For some ideas how to go about it, ask Ebase for there "Ebase and AJAX" example.

Regards,
Antony
0 x

Simon
Ebase User

Postby Simon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks Anthony.

It's a pretty low priority issue at the moment, I was just looking for a quick fix ;)

Take care
Simon
0 x

Simon
Ebase User

Postby Simon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi again

I was having a talk with some of my customers regarding this topic. At HCC, we use Ebase to build forms that allow users to input a lot of data as a replacement/extension to our older Oracle forms interface. I'm not sure how other organisations are using Ebase and whether we are "special" in that respect ;)

Our users have, over the years, become accustomed to using keyboard shortcuts for many quick tasks or for navigation between forms, without have to click on or tab down to buttons. Anyone who has spent any time in a data entry or administration role could tell you that quick keyboard navigation makes the work a lot quicker and less painful on the old wrists.

Ebase's use of a web browser-based interface is great for displaying lots of data in a friendly and well-designed way. However this comes at the expense of fast navigation in the manner that is achievable in Java apps and Oracle forms. I was wondering if it would be possible for Ebase to consider implementing key listeners or shotrcuts, possibly using AJAX/JavaScript as Antony mentions above, for future versions?

Thanks for your time, any other opinions on this are welcome :D

Simon
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Shortcut keys are on the list of enhancements to be added to Version 4.0, but there is no target release for this at the moment. The ability to add AJAX functionality already exists in V3.4 - please contact Ebase support if you would like more info on this.
0 x