Future-proofing Custom Functions

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Simon
Ebase User

Future-proofing Custom Functions

Postby Simon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi

I've just created my first custom function in Java and I'm rather proud of myself :D It's a change-checking function that uses FormBean.getFields() to retrieve an ArrayList of FieldBeans. The FieldBeans are copied into an an array called initialValues. When a user clicks a "Next" button the function compares initialValues with the current values of the FieldBeans in the ArrayList.

After talking about the function with some colleagues, we've identified a possible risk in that there are few Java developers at HCC. Is it possible that in Ebase 3.5 or future releases, there may be changes to the way Forms and Fields are structured in Java? We noticed that these classes are undocumented, so we wasn't sure whether or not they are intended for use with custom functions?

Any information you can provide will be extremely useful. Thanks for your help.

Simon
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:39 pm

Your custom function is safe. The FieldBean and FormBean classes form part of the external API (available to functions and JSPs). We may add to these, but existing methods will not be removed. Javadoc should be provided for these classes - this is an oversight.
0 x

Simon
Ebase User

Postby Simon » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks for your response, Jon, very reassuring! It's good to know those classes will be documented as they look very useful.

Take care
Simon
0 x