Max size of $eb.setFieldValue and executeFunction params

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

PeteM
Ebase User

Max size of $eb.setFieldValue and executeFunction params

Postby PeteM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi,

Could you tell me the maximum size I can pass to setFieldValue , and the maximum size to pass through executefunction?

I'm trying to pass a filereader readasDataURL through both, and it's failing - the file is a 2 meg pdf, but we'll have anything up to 200 meg.

Cheers,

Peter
0 x

Jon

Re: Max size of $eb.setFieldValue and executeFunction params

Postby Jon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:47 pm

Wow, 200Mb is a lot!

I don't think there are any restrictions on setFieldValue or executeFunction per se. There may be limits in terms of what you can do in Javascript both in the client and the server, but I'm not aware of any. There may also be browser limitations.

I suspect it's tomcat that's imposing a limit: there is a maxPostSize parameter on the connector definition in server.xml that defaults to 2Mb. You can change this to -1 to disable the limit. You can expect similar restrictions from any web listener e.g. IIS.

You may also start to get more problems if you start to transfer very large data packets - like 200Mb - as these need to be materialised into objects on the server, and this may lead to memory usage problems. I think you'd have to try it to see if this is the case. You certainly don't want to store the data in form fields as then it becomes part of the session state and will be kept in memory until the user session times out; using executeFunction would be better.

If your intention is to pass the data straight through the server and save it into a file you may be better off to write a Java servlet that streams the data straight through - this would be a more conventional approach. It won't impose a memory load on the server.
0 x

PeteM
Ebase User

Re: Max size of $eb.setFieldValue and executeFunction params

Postby PeteM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:53 pm

Cheers Jon,

Yeah - we're using the base64 string and inserting it direct into a DB. It worked in test (when it was small images of Penquins) - but in live, all of a sudden 200meg PDF's turned up :-/

I'll have a look at Tomcat - failing that we'll chunk it up and see what we can do.

Thanks again!
0 x