Tomcat process issues

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Segi
Ebase User

Tomcat process issues

Postby Segi » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:20 pm

I've been having 2 different issues lately that I'm pretty sure are more related to Tomcat then Verj specifically but hopefully someone can help.

1. When I try to end the Tomcat process on a Windows Server 2012 server, I'm suddenly getting an access denied error.

I have full local & domain privileges on my user account so I don't think that its related to permissions. I have Verj set up to run as a Windows Service called VerjIO that is set up to run automatically. A Windows scheduled task is set to reboot the server nightly at 3 AM and the server is ready to go every morning without fail. I used to be able to kill the Tomcat8.exe process as needed and restart the VerjIO service with no issue. I cannot think of anything that has changed that would suddenly affect my ability to kill this process. I noticed even stranger behavior today when I tried to kill the tomcat process and got an access denied message but a little while later (maybe 5-10 minutes at the most) I was informed that my server was down and discovered that the server had in fact killed off Tomcat8.exe (maybe delayed reaction ?). When I try to restart the server, I run into another error which leads me to the second issue.

2. Once the server has started, if I kill off Tomcat.exe and try to restart the Windows service, the service starts but no one can connect to the running Verj instance. In order to figure out what was going on, I ran the Start_ebase_server.bat batch file and received the message that you can see in this screenshot: https://ufile.io/7wy7m.

According to this error, its saying that there's another process thats bound to port 443. Here's the thing though. Running netstat -abon does not show anything running on that port. In fact I cannot find anything bound to ports 80, 443 or 8009 for that matter. I double checked and triple checked the netstat output and don't see anything running that would be bound to those ports. I even want so far as to kill off any processes that I could but I still have this issue. The only solution is to reboot my entire Windows server which is a very inelegant way of temporarily fixing the problem.

Does anyone know what else can cause this ? It almost seems to me like when tomcat8.exe gets killed off, the port binding is still in use according to Windows even though it isn't.
0 x

Steve

Re: Tomcat process issues

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi Segi,

Have you tried to run task manager "as administrator" and try to shutdown the process then?

In regard to problem 2:

When you open task manager, do you have any "Commons Daemon Service...." processes running? These are tomcat services.

Also it might be worth checking whether there are any Java processes running. These might be the tomcat running in the background if the process has become orphaned.

Just some thoughts...

Steve
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:43 pm

Steve,

I ran task manager as administrator but I still get access denied if I try to kill off tomcat.exe.

I do have Commons Daemon Service in task manager but it won't let me end the task. Nothing happens if I try.

Another thing that I just noticed is that the processes (Common Daemons and tomcat.exe) do eventually die off after I terminate the process but its very delayed.

As far as I remember, this has only happened since I've started using Verj 3.2. I am using the Java run time 1.8.0_144

After tomcat.exe dies off, if I restart Verj, it does start but tells me that it can't bind to port 443.

Running netstat -ab shows that there isn't anything listening on 443 but Verj still thinks that there is. I double checked to make sure that there are no java or tomcat processes still running.
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:29 am

Hi Segi,

I know that the Verj server does take a while to stop on some systems. I have encountered this on windows server 2012 also.

I am not sure why you cannot kill the process. There is some information here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/125 ... -a-process

or

https://superuser.com/questions/109010/ ... ess-denied

It might be worth looking at this for port 443:

https://superuser.com/questions/125455/ ... n-port-443

Skype might be a candidate for this.

Kind regards

Steve
0 x