IIS Tomcat connector to multiple instances of Ebase

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

neilnewman
Ebase User

IIS Tomcat connector to multiple instances of Ebase

Postby neilnewman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:25 am

We have a couple of Ebase instances running on our server and we want to use IIS and the Tomcat Connector to return the AD username.

All this is now working fine but I have been unable to implement a connection using the Tomcat connector to more than than one Ebase instance, the issue being with the uriworkermap.properties file.

I cannot work out how you define the second connection to the "ufs" installation which has the same application name and that does not overwrite the first definition.

Is this even possible? (our file below):

/ufs*=dbcebaselive
/ufs/*=dbcebaselive
/ufs/*.jsp=dbcebaselive
/ufs/servlet/*=dbcebaselive

/ufs*=dbcebaseinternal
/ufs/*=dbcebaseinternal
/ufs/*.jsp=dbcebaseinternal
/ufs/servlet/*=dbcebaseinternal
0 x

alexmcclune
Ebase User

Postby alexmcclune » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:38 pm

I am not an expert here but I don't think you can that way.

I have got around this by renaming the Ebase Web apps. I currently have three on a server using this method like:

/ufs_LIVE/*
/ufs_TEST/*
/ufs_TRAIN/*

So you would have, with the appropriate workers.properties setup:

/ufs*=dbcebaselive
/ufs/*=dbcebaselive
/ufs/*.jsp=dbcebaselive
/ufs/servlet/*=dbcebaselive

/ufs_internal*=dbcebaseinternal
/ufs_internal/*=dbcebaseinternal
/ufs_internal/*.jsp=dbcebaseinternal
/ufs_internal/servlet/*=dbcebaseinternal

You'll obviously have to tweak the tomcat and ebase configuration to accomplish this.
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks Alex, I thought that might be the only way forward.
0 x

Ian
Ebase Staff

Re: IIS Tomcat connector to multiple instances of Ebase

Postby Ian » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi Neil,

Alex is correct - if you only have one website defined in IIS then you will have to rename your webapp names both in Ebase and in the redirector.

However, IIS allows you to define multiple websites. Each servicing a single backend website (Ebase instance).

In this case, you could keep the webapp name the same (ufs) because you would define a separate redirector for each website and so would have unique maps and worker properties.

If you would like to explore this option in more detail please let me know - more than willing to help

Ian
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi Ian,
I would much rather do this, than rename my ufs instances (if it is not too complicated!)

Kind regards
Neil
0 x

Ian
Ebase Staff

Postby Ian » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:14 pm

HI Neil,

What version of IIS are you using?
Configuration differs based on version.
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:31 am

Hi Ian,
We are running IIS 8.5.9600.16384

Many thanks
Neil
0 x

Ian
Ebase Staff

Postby Ian » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:53 am

Hi Neil,

OK so my next question is to do with the structure of the URL you use to access the applications in each of the Ebase instances.

I am interested in the domain section ie: eforms.gov.uk.

What I am proposing is that you would create 2 websites in IIS and then edit their bindings so that each url used to access Ebase applications is channelled through its specific website definition.
Then it should simply be a matter of configuring a separate redirector for each of the defined websites.

Because you have 2 separate redirector installations you will be able to define their uri maps and worker properties to point to the appropriate backend Ebase instance.
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:14 am

Hi Ian,
Our domain is dartford.gov.uk an example of a form call from the two instances in question would be:
http://dbc-daap-18:3020/ufs/ufsmain?ebP ... _BASE_IDOX

http://dbc-daap-18:3030/ufs/ufsmain?ebP ... H_PLANNING

Many thanks
Neil
0 x

Ian
Ebase Staff

Postby Ian » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:26 am

Hi Neil,

Different ports will work just as well.
Did you create the existing website definition and redirector?
Do you have a test IIS server?
What you need to do is to create 2 website definitions in IIS.
The configuration prompt will automatically assign port 80 change it to one of the ports you use ie: 3020 or 3030
Then go through the process of configuring the redirector for each site.

Note: if these ports have already been assigned to an existing website their assignment will have to be removed first. (hence the question regarding a test IIS server)
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:31 am

Hi Ian,
Yes I did setup the IIS and redirector, I have a test install on my local PC which I could use for testing purposes.
I will take a look at creating two website definitions and let you know how it goes.

Many thanks
Neil
0 x

Ian
Ebase Staff

Postby Ian » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:38 am

Hi Neil,

Having just re-read you previous post and my reply - I don't think what I have said is correct as the whole point of having the isapi redirector is to get rid of the ports from the url.

So, unfortunately, something is going to have to change it just depends on which is easiest for you.
1. Have a unique domain name for each url call:
ie: http://dbc-daap-19 for 3020 & http://dbc-daap-20 for 3030
2. Change the webapp name of one of your Ebase instances to something else.

If you go with the domain name change then my previous post is still valid but you leave the port at 80 and put the domain name in the host binding.

If you go with changing one of the Ebase webapp names then it is just a matter of entering a new worker into the workers.properties and a new pattern match in the uri map.
0 x

alexmcclune
Ebase User

Postby alexmcclune » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:13 am

Following this through...

Neil - are you Capita CRM users down at Dartford? We in Carlisle(.gov.uk) originally purchased Ebase to run alongside their Digital Portal (formerly Connect) and Capita CRM. We originall had three webapps per server as 1 served the Capita CRM forms, another our web forms and a third some internal processes. These are about to be decommissioned as we will only be serving web forms in the future.

The following is some old notes I have for creating a new webapp, actually originally provided by Capita. It has been years since I've done it but I think a lot of it will apply- Ian can you confirm the following for us as it maybe incomplete.

For reference the webapp directory is: [Ebase Home]\Ufsserver\tomcat\webapps

Take a Backup of the existing webapp

1. Copy Existing Webapp
Stop Ebase and take a backup of the Ebase deployment.
• In [Ebase Home]\UfsServer\tomcap\webapps copy an existing webapp. Rename the webapp and paste it back into the same directory.
• In [Ebase Home]\UsfServer\DB copy the database of the webapp that was copied. Rename the copied database to the same name as the new webapp (all in capitals) and paste it back into the same directory.
• In [Ebase Home]\UfsServer\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost copy the XML document of the webapp that was copied. Rename the copied XML document to the same name as the new webapp and paste it back into the same directory.

2. Confiuguration Changes
Within your Client Directory
• Copy batch file start_ebase_designer.bat. Rename the copied file and paste it back into thje same directory.
• Open the new batch file and create or amend the following variables: server_webapp=[new webapp name]. Save and close the file.
Within your Tomcat Directory
• Open [Ebase Home]\ufsserver\tomcat\webapps\[new webapp]\WEB-INF\classes\UFSSetup.properties and change all references from copied webapp name to new webapp name. Whilst still in this file ensure you amend the entries for: ufs.systemName=
• In section #transportDirectoryName if the entry ends with the copied webapp name, change to the new webapp name and navigate to: [Ebase Home]\UfsServer\transport and change the folder with the copied webapp name to the new webapp name.
• In [Ebase Home]\UfsServer\tomcat\logs - Delete all files in this direcory
• Open [Ebase Home]\UfsServer\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost\[new webapp].xml and change the url for the Ebase Repository database.

3. Restart Ebase

4. Amend DMZ Isapi settings
• You'll obviously need to amend your uriworkermap.properties and workers.properties file to reference the new webapp alongside the old one.
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:19 am

Hi Alex,
Yes we do still use the Capita CRM (internally) which Ebase integrates into.

We will be migrating away from this early next year and plan to create a simple CRM using Ebase, mainly being used for address lookups etc, as the Ebase info gets pushed directly into our back-end systems.

Many thanks for the info, looks like I will need to carry out a few tests on my test setup first and then decide which way to go.

Thanks again
Neil
0 x

alexmcclune
Ebase User

Postby alexmcclune » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am

I think that makes you the last Capita CRM customer ?! We migrated away earlier this year and that was about 5 years too late in my opinion! If you need any help let us know.

I did a search of the forum and I found a few links that may help, one is here:

http://forum.ebasetech.com/forum/viewto ... ght=webapp
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:04 am

Thanks Alex,
The Capita CRM works fine as a bit of glue in the middle and has served our Contact Centre well.

Capita are dropping support in April 2018 and migrating with a budget of zero is always difficult!

Thanks again
Neil
0 x

alexmcclune
Ebase User

Postby alexmcclune » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Oh dear - Capita CRM - I have some stories for you there :P But taking the whole app as a saving, yikes! Let me know if you need any help.
0 x

Ian
Ebase Staff

Postby Ian » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:54 am

Hi Neil,

Just wondering how you are getting on?
If there is anything I can help with please let me know.

Ian
0 x