Calling Form

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

selbjx
Ebase User

Calling Form

Postby selbjx » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:11 pm

You can use returnfrom form to get back to the calling form. Is this value stored in a session variable? Can this be set manually.

A form i have can be called from two places, but when the user clicks back i would like it to return to one of the forms only. Is there anyway to manually set this value?
0 x

Wai

Postby Wai » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Using the browser back button will not allow you to go to a form page which is not in the browsers history cache.

When you click on the back button, no events or scripts are fired until some input is received from the user on the previous page.

"All browsers maintain a history of displayed pages. When the back button is used to display an earlier Ebase page, the page is displayed from the browser’s history cache without the need to contact the server. Therefore, the server (and the executing form) are unaware of what the user is doing until he or she performs some action that results in a post to the server from the new page; usually this means clicking on a button or a hyperlink or some other control. It is important to understand that the server does not receive control each time the user clicks the back button."

For more information, refer to the Back Button documentation.
0 x

selbjx
Ebase User

Postby selbjx » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Wai wrote:Using the browser back button will not allow you to go to a form page which is not in the browsers history cache.

When you click on the back button, no events or scripts are fired until some input is received from the user on the previous page.

"All browsers maintain a history of displayed pages. When the back button is used to display an earlier Ebase page, the page is displayed from the browser’s history cache without the need to contact the server. Therefore, the server (and the executing form) are unaware of what the user is doing until he or she performs some action that results in a post to the server from the new page; usually this means clicking on a button or a hyperlink or some other control. It is important to understand that the server does not receive control each time the user clicks the back button."

For more information, refer to the Back Button documentation.
Allow me to explain. I have a set of global buttons which sit below the main form. They use the returnfrom form command available in base. Are you saying this links up to the browsers back button?
0 x

Wai

Postby Wai » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:41 pm

For some reason, I thought you were talking about the Browser Back Button, sorry about that.

For your own back button, you cannot manually set which form to return to for returnfrom form, however, you can create your own session variable that gets set when your back button is pressed.

Then when you return to the calling form, you can check the session variable value and then redirect the user to your other form.

Does that help?
0 x

selbjx
Ebase User

Postby selbjx » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:43 pm

Yes a little. Ill work on this tomorrow and come back.
0 x