Printing across two pages in print design

Post any questions you have about using the Verj.io Studio, including client and server-side programming with Javascript or FPL, and integration with databases, web services etc.

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

beckyatpowys
Ebase User

Printing across two pages in print design

Postby beckyatpowys » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:36 pm

I have designed my pdf printouts in print design in to one A4 sheet. all the fields fit on nicely, however when I run the form it produces a pdf doc that runs across two a4 sheets, and it starts to print halfway down the sheet. Does anybody have any idea what i am doing wrong? also...... is it possible to only print fields in the print out if there has been input from the user in that particular field?

Any help very much appreciated, I've spent ages trying to work it out.
0 x
Becky

Sarah
Ebase User

Postby Sarah » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:37 am

Presumably you are running Ebase version 3.4.0, where dynamic printing was introduced. This allows text areas, tables and tick lists to be set as dynamic - i.e. they will expand to the required size to fit all the text, rows or tick list options, rather than being a fixed size.

To set them at a fixed size (i.e. not dynamic), right-click on all the text areas, tick lists or tables that you have on your print form, select "Field properties" and uncheck the "Dynamic" checkbox. Once all the fields are non-dynamic, the fields should appear as you have designed them in the Ebase Print Designer.

If this doesn't help, please log this on the Ebase Customer Portal and upload a zipped copy of an export of the form in question and Ebase Support will investigate.
0 x

beckyatpowys
Ebase User

Postby beckyatpowys » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks for reply. I think I've fixed it now but I'll record that here so that if anyone else has same problem they can get it sorted :)

I had one form, with a number of different fields that only appeared when certain values are chosen in earlier fields. Depending on the values they enter depends which pdfprint form gets produced on submit form. There are three different printviews produced. I did as suggested and unticked the dynamic boxes, but that didn't work. I realised the problem was mainly occuring when I had already filled in a form, then used back buttons and went through the form again. For some reason it pushed the form down and produced a large blank area at the top of the page (even though i had forced a VALUE='' on the previous page event of page 2). So, i removed the back buttons and forced people to reload the form every time they wanted to fill a new one in. This worked for two of the forms but not the third - which really confused me. However, when i looked at the properties of the print forms i found the one that was still giving me problems was ticked as the default page. So i produced a dummy default page, and that sorted it.

I still haven't figured out what exactly was happening but somebody on here may understand it? Anyway, I have found a way around it now, and thought it may be useful to share :)
0 x
Becky

Sarah
Ebase User

Postby Sarah » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:56 pm

For information, the problem you describe shouldn't have occurred, and you shouldn't need to create a new default page or remove the back buttons or anything else, even if you were using the back buttons to go through the form a second time. There may be a problem within the Print Designer, or the print form got corrupted somehow.

If the problem occurs again please let us know, via the Customer Portal, as we would want to investigate whether there is a problem with Ebase itself.
0 x