encrypted passwords in ufs.xml

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Jez
Ebase User

encrypted passwords in ufs.xml

Postby Jez » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi,

My apologies if this question has been addressed before or if there is already a guide for it, but does anyone know if there is either:

a) a way to encrypt the ufs.xml file (containing usernames / passwords of database connections)

b) a secure alternative to ufs.xml - i.e. passing credentials in at run-time or a secure alternative method that holds database login credentials?

As an organisation we are always reviewing security and having human readable usernames / passwords in text files - even if they are on secure, back-end servers, is increasingly identified as a security issue. I've been asked the question by our security team if there is an alternative but I haven’t found anything in the forums or help files.

Many thanks,
Jez
0 x
--------------------------------------
Jez Hollinshead - Hampshire CC

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:30 pm

Jez,

You don't have to use Tomcat database connections defined in ufs.xml. Instead you can use a "pooled connection" - see the Database Connection editor in the designer. This encrypts the database password, but not the userid. All database connections except the Ebase Repository can be configured as a pooled connection.

It is also possible to encrypt the tomcat parameters in ufs.xml, but it's quite difficult. If you Google this, you'll see various suggestions.

Regards
Jon
0 x