repository database choice

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

neilnewman
Ebase User

repository database choice

Postby neilnewman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Currently our Ebase installation stores the repository database within SQL Server 2008.
I am considering moving our repository database back to Derby so that the only point of failure is the server running Ebase.
Are there any benefits in using SQL server for the repository database?
0 x

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Postby dvanhussel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:26 pm

Benefits that I can think of are:
- backup and restore (of specific tables) is easier with SQL Server
- 'browsing' the contents of the repository (when developing/maintaining forms) is easier

I think that when you have an error connecting to SQL server for the repository (network problems or the database is down), you probably can expect other problems when your forms try to call/write to other backoffice systems. So I think that this 'single point of failure' is not really an issue.

Having said that, there is of course nothing wrong with using Derby. But I probably would not start a migration only to fix this 'problem'.

I 'm not sure if Derby has performance benefits. But my guess would be that it will not be in (big) favour of MSSQQL or Oracle. Maybe Ebase staff has some info on this?
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:26 pm

Most customers have additional databases configured as well as the Ebase repository, and these use external database systems i.e. not Derby. If these external databases are Mysql, SQL Server or Oracle, you might as well use these for the Ebase repository as well. But if you don't have additional databases configured, it's not so clear. I agree with David that in general, if you pay for a database system, you generally get better tools and they're easier to work with, but it's not an enormous benefit.
0 x

neilnewman
Ebase User

Postby neilnewman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:45 am

Thank you both for the advise.
I was not sure if there was a performance benefit using something other than Derby.
If the differences are small I guess there is not much to be concerned about regardless of choice.
Thanks again
0 x