Ebase Installation and Web App

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

alexmcclune
Ebase User

Ebase Installation and Web App

Postby alexmcclune » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:45 am

Hi,

I would like to discuss whether or not our setup is recommended or not, we have not yet gone live...but I have configured the Live Ebase Server in the following fashion.

I deem we will have three core purposes for Ebase within our organisation:

- Public Facing Forms accessible via our website
- Internally accessed forms accessed by our CRM etc
- Internal Ebase Applications

I have created three distinct Web Apps on our Live Server utilising three distinct UFS Repositories.

For the time being and considering we are using virtual servers I do not expect "performance" to come into the decision making process here. I merely want to account for everything "ebase" related. We do have a seperate test server that is not currently used but I realise I could use another webapp for testing...

Is the above recommended or do you think seperating them onto servers would be better? I understand the management of extra webapps will make things quite complicated and as we are yet to go live this is the time to make any changes.
0 x

alexmcclune
Ebase User

Postby alexmcclune » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:26 pm

So...I have received a message when trying to open a form:
PermGen space
I believe this is related to the Tomcat memory allocation for Java. I increased the initial memory pool to 512 and the maximum memory pool to 1024 but i have just received the same message. I attempted (and failed) to double the memory allocation again. I assume this has answered my own question?

Don't use more than 1 or 2 webapps (not three...) per ebase tomcat installation?
0 x

Hovik

Postby Hovik » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 pm

Having several webapps within the same Tomcat has the following disadvantages:
  • if Tomcat goes down, all your applications go down
    all webapps are competing for the same amount of memory allocated to the JVM
Memory is a crucial consideration. In a 32-bit environment, the maximum memory which can be allocated to JVM is around 1.3Gb. Any higher than this and Tomcat fails - as you've already discovered. In a 64-bit environment you can allocate much much more. I've seen 8Gb being allocated assuming sufficient physical memory on the machine.

If you don't have the luxury of a 64-bit environment, I suggest separating the 3 into 3 installations of Tomcat, then allocate 1.3Gb of memory to each assuming that the total memory on the server is at least 4Gb.
Note that each Tomcat needs to have distinct (http, shutdown, ssl and redirect) port numbers from any other Tomcat running on the same machine. Port numbers are configured within server.xml in tomcat\conf

For your external facing application, I recommend using IIS or Apache web server within the DMZ to redirect requests to Tomcat, and opening a single port - normally 8009 - through he firewall. In this way your application is behind the firewall (recommended).
0 x

alexmcclune
Ebase User

Postby alexmcclune » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 pm

I meant to reply, I think we may need to consider reinstalling ebase with your 64bit installer.

Our server is 64bit but it looks like our jre/Tomcat may not have been (I haven't checked but considering we were encountering memory problems I think it adds up).

Thanks for the reply (apologies for the delay in replying)
0 x