Small Correction To Tutorial- BUILDING A FORM WITH DATA....

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Joe Blake
Ebase User

Small Correction To Tutorial- BUILDING A FORM WITH DATA....

Postby Joe Blake » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:43 pm

In CUSTOMIZING THE P_COURSE page

the tutorial says

"double clicking opposite the Dynamic List mapping property."

I believe single clicking the ... button is the correct instruction.

Additionally, my window is slightly different than the one shown. Mine also shows a list return field(set to none) whatever that is.
0 x
New Potential User.

Jon

Postby Jon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks for this - we'll change the tutorial.
List return field allows you to display one database column to the user and return another column as the field value e.g. you might display a description column but return an id column.
0 x

Joe Blake
Ebase User

Little more help.

Postby Joe Blake » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Almost understood your explanation...can you maybe provide an example where I would use this.

I will go through the application again to see where it is being used.
0 x
New Potential User.

Jon

Postby Jon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:05 am

There is an example of using a list return field in the tutorial "Building a Form to display and update tables with foreign keys".

But here's a simple example: say you had a database table employees which had a column department_id, then another table departments with columns department_id and department_name. When you display the employees table to a user, you just have an id but you really want to display the name, and if it's editable you want to be able to show a list of department names. To do this you use a dynamic list and map the display field to department name and the return field to department_id.
0 x