Recommended Server Specs

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

alexmcclune
Ebase User

Recommended Server Specs

Postby alexmcclune » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi,

We are looking to install our Ebase servers asap, can anyone recommend any specs which we should aim to meet?

We will be installing into a virtual environment are there any hardware specs we should aim to meet?

Currently our thinking is either Windows Server 2008 R2 using SQL Server Express or RHEL using My SQL Database. Hardware assigned will be 80GB OS and 80GB ebase partitions using 2 CPU's and 4GB RAM for live, test maybe less.

We expect quite heavy use once everything is developed.

Any advice is appreciated.
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi Alex,

I would suggest that you make sure you have a 64 bit system and install 64 bit Java and Tomcat. This will give you flexibility for memory if required. 32 bit Java has a limitation of 2GB RAM. You will not reach the limitation in 64 bit :-)

80GB HDD seems reasonable. I am assuming your database will be on another box, or you will not be storing a vast amount of data?

SQL Server express or MySSQL will be fine.

Depending on the complexity of the forms and expected concurrent users, I might suggest pushing the RAM up to 6GB to give you more flexibility.

Kind regards

Steve Upton
0 x

alexmcclune
Ebase User

Postby alexmcclune » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Ebase repository databases will be on the same servers, considering they are virtual space isn't really an issue however can you estimate how large these may grow ?

Thanks for the input we will definately use 64bit, I assume the most recent versions of tomcat an java are fine?
Last edited by alexmcclune on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Alex,

There is no preference between Linux and Windows systems. 64 bit versions of Java and Tomcat are readily available for both.

Kind regards

Steve
0 x

alexmcclune
Ebase User

Postby alexmcclune » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your replies.

We have decided on windows (simply have more experience within my team and is easier to support), servers being built now.
0 x

alexmcclune
Ebase User

Postby alexmcclune » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Just a further question now I have everything installed. Am I right in thinking the following:

We use our client PC's for development and the servers are simply used for publishing. To "publish" the forms we simply export from our client PC and import onto the server.
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi Alex,
To "publish" the forms we simply export from our client PC and import onto the server.
That is correct.

Steve
0 x

eddparsons
Ebase User

Postby eddparsons » Tue May 07, 2013 2:32 pm

alexmcclune wrote:Ebase repository databases will be on the same servers, considering they are virtual space isn't really an issue however can you estimate how large these may grow ?

To give you an idea, ours is currently taking 40MB with ~100 forms.
0 x