Ebase 5.2 - Setup question for clients and workspaces.

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

PeteM
Ebase User

Ebase 5.2 - Setup question for clients and workspaces.

Postby PeteM » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:09 am

I'm Setting up the eBase clients for myself and 2 other developers, I just want to make sure that I’m doing so correctly, and I’m understanding how source control would work.

We have a central development server using Tomcat running on port 3030.

Client PCs are running ebase 5 client, with server pointed to Internal.

Client PCs have local workspaces.

Client PCs workspaces are synchronized with a GIT repository.

A typical development cycle would be:

Get latest source from GIT
Make modifications to code, until development complete
Test locally
Commit modifications to GIT
Deploy to Central Development Server.

As the clients each working on their own Workspaces, modifying forms, scripts etc I’d expect the UFS internal DB to be set within each client to point to the local derby database. Is this correct? Does the Deploy copy everything needed for the Application to run to the central server (Connections, Forms, Scripts etc)?

Any pointers gratefully received!!

Many thanks,

Peter
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:35 am

Your set up sounds fine to me. For information none of the things you develop are stored in the UFS internal DB in V5, they are stored as files in the workspace.
Does the Deploy copy everything needed for the Application to run to the central server (Connections, Forms, Scripts etc)?
Yes it is trying to do just this. Though note that there is an "Include Associated Entities" checkbox within the deployment dialog which you frequently need to check e.g. you can deploy a form and click this checkbox and all the linked resources, scripts etc will also be deployed. The "View Deployment" button will show you exactly what will be deployed.

Any files (images, stylesheets etc) in the server's web application i.e. within tomcat/webapps/xxx, are not included in the deploy. But all these files can now - in V5 - be placed in the workspace and then they will be included in the deploy.

Database Connections are a bit of a special case. The system assumes that these will not be the same in both the source and target systems (different url, user, password etc) so a database connection is not replaced during deployment if it already exists on the target system. If it doesn't exist on the target system, you will be prompted to provide the details as part of the deploy.
0 x

PeteM
Ebase User

Postby PeteM » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:49 am

Cheers Jon -

Just to be clear for my own sanity :-)

The UFS has been upgraded from version 4.5, and looking at the upgraded DB theres still tables for Forms, action scripts etc. Would these just be there as part of the upgrade and no longer used going forward in 5?

Thanks again for help,

Peter
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:53 am

Those tables aren't used in V5, it's just that they haven't been removed.
0 x

PeteM
Ebase User

Postby PeteM » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:55 am

Super - thanks again Jon.
0 x