External Test Server won't start on development server

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Segi
Ebase User

External Test Server won't start on development server

Postby Segi » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:53 pm

I set up a new server with Ebase 5.1.1.

My server is set up run using SSL and redirects all requests on port 80 to 443. My production server is set up the same way.

I cannot start the Test Server. My settings are as follows:

Use External Server
Host: localhost
Port:80
Web application name: ebase

My production server uses these same settings except for the webapp which is ufs, not ebase and it works fine. If I change it to use the Integrated test server, the server starts but when I try to change my database connection source, I cannot use my existing database connection.

I didn't specify this but this server that I am having issues with is running the Ebase server on the same server that I am running designer in and trying to connect to the test server from.

UFSClient/IntegratedServer\logs\serverBootstrap.log doesn't have any info. All it contains is:

Code: Select all

Thu Jun 09 16:31:26:  ************************************************************
Thu Jun 09 16:31:26:  ***  Starting Ebase Xi Server version 5.1.1, Build 20160422
Thu Jun 09 16:31:26:  ************************************************************
Thu Jun 09 16:31:27: INFO Licence is valid
Thu Jun 09 16:31:33:  Ebase Xi Designer server component initialised successfully
Thu Jun 09 16:31:33:  Workflow servlet component initialised successfully
Thu Jun 09 16:31:33:  FormCacheLoader: start
Thu Jun 09 16:31:33:  FormCacheLoader: end
Thu Jun 09 16:31:33:  ******************************************************************
Thu Jun 09 16:31:33:  ***  Ebase Xi Server V5.1.1 successfully initialized in 6 seconds
Thu Jun 09 16:31:33:  ***  Using workspace C:\ebaseXi5\Workspace
Thu Jun 09 16:31:33:  ******************************************************************
Thu Jun 09 16:31:34:  Designer process heartbeat monitor started
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:14 am

You should be able to start a standalone test server on the same physical server used for your designer + integrated test server. Do you have the log from the startup of the new test server?

The most common problem is that one or more ports is already in use. If the server dies immediately after you start it and doesn't produce any logs, the most likely reason is that the Java executable is not correctly configured.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:17 am

Jon,

The server itself works fine. Its only the integrated server which you configure in designer thats giving me the issue. The log file that I mentioned doesn't tell me anything at all. I installed the server and client on the same VM and am trying to configure the integrated test server in the Designer app on the server itself.
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:24 am

You might check for errors in the designer log in UfsClient/logs. Which features don't work with the integrated server - can you run a form, run server admin app?.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:25 pm

Jon,

I can run a form, run the admin app (ebaseadmin) etc. My only issue is that I cannot get the test server to work. The log file UFSServer/logs/ebase-designer.log doesn't give me any information about the test server.

This server that Im having this issue with uses a self signed cert. Our production also uses a self signed SSL cert and the test server on that production server works fine
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 am

Hi Segi,

Is it the Integrated server that you are having problems with or the External Test server? I am trying to read this and understand which one is having the issue.

1) If you are using the Integrated Test server then there will be no SSL involved and the only problem I can think of that you may have is trying to start the Integrated Test server on a port that is already in use.

2) If you are using the external server and all the connectors are SSL and you are using a self signed certificate, you may need to setup import the self signed certificate into a keystore and configure the keystore in the system properties. I am assuming you have the certificate in a keystore on the server? You should be able to point the Ebase designer to this keystore by adding:

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=c:/Temp/clientTrustStore.key
   -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=qwerty
to the /EbaseIntallDir/UfsClient/designer.vmoptions file.

More information about SSL and System properties can be found:

http://docs.oracle.com/javadb/10.10.1.2 ... lient.html

I hope this helps

Steve
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:20 pm

Steve,

Its my understanding that I need to use the External Test Server, not the Internal Test Server. I added the 2 SSL lines

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=c:/ebaseXi5/myfile.jks
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=MYPASSWORD

and in the Preferences, under the test server tab, I still have
localhost
port 80
Web app: ROOT but it won't start the test server
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi Segi,

Where did you add the two SSL system properties lines to? I said to put them on the Ebase XI Client designer.vmoptions file.... but I just thought that I do not think that the designer can communicate to an SSL server. You will probably need to create another Connector in your server.xml that is not SSL.

<Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1" 
           connectionTimeout="20000" 
           redirectPort="8443" 
           URIEncoding="UTF-8" />
For development purposes, this seems a reasonable solution and a much easier configuration.

It's probably best you back out of the change you made so far.... by the sounds of things, your External Server does not start and that is not correct.

Steve
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:50 pm

Steve,

I added those 2 lines to designer.vmoptions. So what you're suggesting is that creating another connection on port 8080 that redirects to the SSL port and referencing that as the test server port ?

so I'd enter

localhost
ROOT

under File->Preferences->Test Server

Is this correct ?

I tried this and I still cannot start the external test server...
Last edited by Segi on Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi Segi,

I am suggesting having another Connector port that is not a SSL connector that listens on port 8080 (in the example I gave you). You can change this port if you like.

And yes.... you would enter:

localhost
ROOT

Kind regards

Steve
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:25 pm

I managed to get it to work without that connector on port 8080 and without those 2 lines in designer.vmoptions by choosing Integrated Test Server on port 8443. I originally added those 2 lines that I had added to designer.vmoptions to the Java arguments for the integrated test server but I found that they aren't needed and work without those 2 lines so I removed them since its more secure to not have them in there in the first place.
0 x