CVS for ebase 5

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

xren
Ebase User

CVS for ebase 5

Postby xren » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:20 pm

I moved my question from Ebase 5 beta to here:

Regarding the deployment for version 5:

are there more things to done by deployment action other than copying files from designer workspace to target server workspace?

If there is nothing else than coping files over to server workspace, then can we just manually copy files to server workspace will it work?

We are thinking of setup the server side workspace as a cvs copy. after we commit tested changes to CVS, we can push the file from CVS server directly to the server workspace. then everything is done no deployment action on designer is required.

Are may understanding correct?

Thanks,
Xiaoli
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:48 pm

Yes, good questions. Basically the question is: can I check out from CVS or SVN directly to a test server instead of deploying to it?
Are there more things to done by deployment action other than copying files from designer workspace to target server workspace?
Yes, deploy will also pick up any changes to server-side files - these are saved in the ebaseConf directory on the server. This includes database connections, email accounts and a few other minor items. But these don't change very often, so most of the time you would be fine; plus in addition these entities are usually different on a production system e.g. different credentials, URLs etc. Deploy also supports a few more advanced options e.g. executing SQL on the target server, running a "deployment" form, but again these aren't used too often. Lastly, deployments are tracked on the target server so you can display status/history etc and back things out etc.

Bottom line: yes you can do this so long as you are aware of the restrictions just mentioned. Most of the time it will be fine.
If there is nothing else than coping files over to server workspace, then can we just manually copy files to server workspace will it work?
Yes you can do this
We are thinking of setup the server side workspace as a cvs copy. after we commit tested changes to CVS, we can push the file from CVS server directly to the server workspace. then everything is done no deployment action on designer is required.
Yes you can do this
0 x

xren
Ebase User

Postby xren » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:25 pm

Thank you Jon for the answers to my two questions.
0 x