editdata.mso files in ebase directories

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading Ebase, including problems starting up the Ebase Xi Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

tom.smith
Ebase User

editdata.mso files in ebase directories

Postby tom.smith » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:26 pm

The file editdata.mso which has appeared in numerous directories under our \ufserver\tomcat folder has recently been identified by virus checker and quarantined.

The files seem to be connected to microsoft outlook

The removal of the files by the virus checker does not seem to have caused us any problems but my question is what are these files exactly and why should they appear in our ebase folders.
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi Tom,

It sounds like you have got a virus. These are nothing to do with Ebase and I cannot explain where the files have come from.

Steve
0 x

tom.smith
Ebase User

Postby tom.smith » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:56 am

In the spirit of answering one's own question....

These .mso files are actually supplied by Ebase in their installation .exe files, and unpack as part of the product documentation.

.mso files were used with Office 2000 to send emails from MS Office. I assume that ebase uses them for something similar.

Verified that these files are provided by ebase by installing newest version from their website and installing on fresh VM.

Bottom line, no issue.

Thanks
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks Tom,

I should have looked into this a bit further.

The Ebase documentation is written using MS Word. It looks at though MS Word is generating the editdata.mso file when it saves the HTML.

Kind regards

Steve
0 x