Ebase 5 and deployment

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading to V5, including problems starting and using the Ebase Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Segi
Ebase User

Ebase 5 and deployment

Postby Segi » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:05 pm

I'm using Ebase 5 with the server and designer on the same server. When I am working in the designer, it was my understanding that deployment only needs to occur when the server is not on the same location as the designer.

Is this correct ?

I am asking because I created a UFS Repository application that lets me browser the internal UFS database and view client scripts, database resources, dynamic lists etc.

This application has worked without any issues in Ebase 4 but since upgrading to Ebase 5, I have came across an issue where when I make a change to a server side client script (in JavaScript) and reload my application, I don't see the changes reflected in the script according to my application.

I tried restarting the server and the code still reflects the code that was there before I made my changes.
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:31 am

1. In V5, your work (forms, scripts etc) is saved in a workspace which is just a directory on the file system, and both the designer and the server are configured to point to a specific workspace. When you deploy you are actually copying the files to the workspace of the target server. So to answer your question, if designer and server are running on the same machine AND using the same workspace you don't need to deploy. If they're using a different workspace you do need to deploy.

2. As above, the repository is no longer used so I'm afraid your application that accesses the repository won't work in V5. The upgrade process has created workspace files from the repository but it hasn't removed the tables - this is why your application still appears to work.
0 x

Steve James
Ebase User

Postby Steve James » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:52 am

Is the repository database in use at all in v5? That is could we delete it once upgraded?

I see that a JDBC entry exists \UfsClient\IntegratedServer\ebasetest.xml
after a clean installation of Ebase.

Thanks
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:21 am

The repository database is still used, but not for saving entities created in the designer. In V5 it is more of a runtime database, it is used for:
  • Workflow runtime and archiving
    Caching of runtime objects
    Sequences
    Scheduled tasks runtime
    Deployment
    Calendar
    Save/restore
    Snapshots
    Ebase security system
    Ebase batch system
    Upgrade info
0 x