eBase 5.0.1 is very buggy after an upgrade

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading to V5, including problems starting and using the Ebase Server or Designer

Moderators: Dave, Jon, Steve, Ian

Segi
Ebase User
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:37 pm

eBase 5.0.1 is very buggy after an upgrade

#1

Postby Segi » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know,

I have run into issues with eBase 5.0.1 when doing an upgrade from 4.5.3.

Applications that worked perfectly fine in 4 no longer work in 5. I believe that the problem is in how eBase refactors all of the 4.X resources during the upgrade process since eBase 5 does not use business views.

I received errors that a database resource was not found for a table when the resource was there. In this case, I went to the resources tab in the form and added the database resource manually but still continued to receive this error.

A dynamic list caused a fatal error about an invalid column even though it worked fine in version 4.

Ebase, please look into this. There is a bug in the refactoring process.
0 x

Jon
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:49 pm

#2

Postby Jon » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:36 am

Segi,

Thanks for reporting these issues.

We are aware of an upgrade issue where a table uses a resource but there are no mappings - the resource is not added to the Resources View and this causes an error when the form is run. As you say, the solution is to manually add the resource. This will be fixed.

Dynamic List problem: do you have more details of this?

Regards
Jon
0 x

Segi
Ebase User
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:37 pm

#3

Postby Segi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:17 am

Jon,

For some unknown reason, the dynamic list had a field that I added as a resource field but it complained that it didnt exist. I had to remove it and readd it then it seemed fine after that. Again, it seems like there was some kind of association issue there as well
0 x

Segi
Ebase User
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:37 pm

#4

Postby Segi » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:41 pm

Jon,

When do you think there will be a fix to address the issue of resources and how they are refactored when upgrading to 5 ?
0 x

Jon
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:49 pm

#5

Postby Jon » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:48 pm

Segi,

The fix is already written and tested. But it won't be available until we release the first service pack for Version 5 - at the moment there is no date for this. Do you have many forms that have this issue? The problem applies only when a form contains a table with a linked resource but the table is not used in the form i.e. there are no mappings.

Jon
0 x

Segi
Ebase User
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:37 pm

#6

Postby Segi » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:02 pm

Jon,

It is hard to tell, I had this issue come up twice and I only discovered them as I ran each of my applications (I had what seems to be the same problem in 2 applications that I know of so far).

In one case, this occurred with a table resource and the other occurred with a dynamic list resource.

I have gone back to using eBase 4 until this is fixed.

Would it be possible for me to test the patch ?
0 x

Jon
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:49 pm

#7

Postby Jon » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:28 pm

Segi,

Sorry, we have a policy of not releasing non-standard code, otherwise things become too chaotic and hard to support. To be honest I wouldn't have thought it was worth it to fix this one problem. As you say, you will see these "missing table resource" errors as soon as you run the form. There has been a change in this area: in V5 all resources are initialised up front when the form is submitted, in V4 the resources were initialised as they were called for.

I'm not aware of any issues at all upgrading Dynamic Lists so if you have any details of this it would help.

Jon
0 x

Segi
Ebase User
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:37 pm

#8

Postby Segi » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Jon,

For some unknown reason, the dynamic list had a list field that corresponds to a database column but eBase 5 did not recognize that the list field existed for that dynamic list (as if the association was not there). I fixed it by removing and re-adding the list field and then it worked fine.
0 x


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest