Database Connection/Schema Wizard

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading to V5, including problems starting and using the Ebase Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Paul_22
Ebase User

Database Connection/Schema Wizard

Postby Paul_22 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:12 pm

In version 4.5, there is a Database Connection Wizard. There I see is a list of Database Types: Ie: Apache Derby MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, etc.

But in version 5.0 under Tools, there is now, Database Resource Wizard, which opens a window called, Database Schema Wizard. This has only two selections in the Select Database Connection popup: Ebase_Samples and UFS. It looks like these point to existing databases.

Is the ability to connect to other databases not yet active?
0 x

HarryDeBoer
Ebase User

Postby HarryDeBoer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:48 pm

In 5.0 this section has changed to the server. use Tools -> Start Server Admin Page.
0 x
Kind regards,

Harry

Paul_22
Ebase User

Postby Paul_22 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks Harry! Yes, the Start Serve Admin Page was exactly what I was looking for. As soon as the page opened there was the login screen, in my browser.

I'm still having a problem connecting my database. Maybe you or someone else can point me in the right direction.

I've created a test database with dbSchema (an external app). I've added one table and a few test records from this db manager program. Now I'm trying to create a Resource from within Xi 5.0 that would allow me access to that Table.

From the Server Admin page (in my browser) I was able to use the Database Connection Wizard to establish a connection to my newly created database. Then using the Database Resource Wizard in the Xi 5.0 Designer, I was able to select my database fine. But then neither the schima or that one table in my TEST4 database showed up. Only a list of other (I think) system schemas.

Like: APP, NULLID, SQLJ, SYS, SYSCAT, ETC.

But when I select the Ebase_Samples, database the Ebase_Samples shows up along with all the Ebase_Samples tables.

Maybe I didn't create the Derby database correctly? Maybe that's why the schema isn't showing up.
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:49 am

The database functionality in Version 5 is the same as in Version 4, it's just moved around a bit. The wizards in the designer that let you import tables, stored procs etc from a database work on a Database Connection object - you have to create one of these before you can use the wizards. This Database Connection represents the connection to the database - contains parameters like database URL string, user name, password etc.

In Version 5, database connections are created and maintained using the Server Administration Application (available from the Tools menu). Here you can create a connection to any database system - the only requirement is that the database system has a JDBC driver. Once you've done this you can use the connection with the wizards or anywhere else within the Ebase Xi system.
0 x

Paul_22
Ebase User

Postby Paul_22 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:30 am

Jon: Thanks for explaining that, but I'm still having a problem.

I got the connection made okay.
Then I go to the Database Resource Wizard, and I find my database connection just fine.
The Schema appears fine.
But then my table doesn't show up but even though I know it's there.

I've tried everything I could think of.
The EBASE_SAMPLES tables show up just fine.
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:12 am

I suspect you might have created your database in two different places - once using the schema tool and once using the Ebase Xi Server. You can specify the database path in the connection URL e.g.

jdbc:derby:C:/Ebase_development/test_server/DB/UFS;create=false

If you just specify a database name without the full path, Derby will assume that is within its home directory (specified in java property -Dderby.system.home). Here are some examples of derby connection urls: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.7/de ... vdvlp22102. If you specify create=true Derby will create the database if it doesn't already exist.

To fix this, you should point your schema tool at the database inside the Ebase Xi server system (..UfsServer/DB) and then create the table. You will need to shut down the Ebase Xi server to do this as the Derby embedded driver only allows one client to connect at a time. You should then be able to see the new table OK from within the designer.
0 x

Paul_22
Ebase User

Postby Paul_22 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:41 pm

Fantastic! Thanks Jon!

That's just what I needed to know. I'm back on track.
0 x