404 error when launching server admin app

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading to V5, including problems starting and using the Ebase Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Segi
Ebase User

404 error when launching server admin app

Postby Segi » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:13 pm

In the designer, there's a green checkmark at the top right corner indicating that the server app is running.

When I click on the icon and select start server admin app, I'm getting a 404 error.

My install of eBase 5 is running on a local workstation and is bound to port 80 instead of the default port of 3030.

The url that it is attempting to open is: http://localhost/ebasetest/ebaseAdmin.eb

Under File->Preferences->Test server, I selected "Use internal server" and selected port 80.

The java Arguments line reads: -Xmx512m -Xss1024k -Dhttp.nonProxyHosts="my ebase server ip address" -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

If I select "Use External Server" and enter either my local ip or localhost
for the ip address and port 80, the admin server will not even start.

Under UFSClient/ I have the folder IntegratedServer which contains the ebasetest folder

The server log file shows this:

Code: Select all

SEVERE: Failed to initialize end point associated with ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-80"]
java.net.BindException&#58; Address already in use&#58; JVM_Bind <null>&#58;80
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint.bind&#40;JIoEndpoint.java&#58;413&#41;
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.init&#40;AbstractEndpoint.java&#58;649&#41;
	at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init&#40;AbstractProtocol.java&#58;434&#41;
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11JsseProtocol.init&#40;AbstractHttp11JsseProtocol.java&#58;119&#41;
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initInternal&#40;Connector.java&#58;978&#41;
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init&#40;LifecycleBase.java&#58;102&#41;
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initInternal&#40;StandardService.java&#58;559&#41;
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init&#40;LifecycleBase.java&#58;102&#41;
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initInternal&#40;StandardServer.java&#58;821&#41;
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start&#40;LifecycleBase.java&#58;139&#41;
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Tomcat.start&#40;Tomcat.java&#58;339&#41;
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.designer.local.server.TomcatServerBootstrap.execute&#40;TomcatServerBootstrap.java&#58;111&#41;
	at com.ebasetech.ufs.designer.local.server.TomcatServerBootstrap.main&#40;TomcatServerBootstrap.java&#58;88&#41;
Caused by&#58; java.net.BindException&#58; Address already in use&#58; JVM_Bind
	at java.net.TwoStacksPlainSocketImpl.socketBind&#40;Native Method&#41;
	at java.net.TwoStacksPlainSocketImpl.socketBind&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.bind&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
	at java.net.TwoStacksPlainSocketImpl.bind&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
	at java.net.ServerSocket.bind&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
	at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
	at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket&#40;DefaultServerSocketFactory.java&#58;49&#41;
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint.bind&#40;JIoEndpoint.java&#58;400&#41;
It seems that its having an issue binding to port 80.

How can this be fixed ?
0 x

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Postby dvanhussel » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi Segi,

The error states that port 80 is already in use.
Are you sure that you have no other process running on your pc that already uses port 80?

Assuming that you are using Windows, you can check this by running this command in a terminal with elevated rights (Start -> cmd, right-click, run as Administrator:

Code: Select all

netstat -anb
If you stop the process that is using port 80, the integrated server should work.

Regards,

David
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:00 pm

Is the port number specified supposed to be the same port number that eBase is running on or a different port ?

The HTML upgrade instruction tell you to use the same port. If this is wrong, the instructions need to be clarified.
0 x

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Postby dvanhussel » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:07 pm

If you run a standalone instance of an (External) Ebase Server and an instance of the Integrated Server on the same machine, they both need their own port number.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:10 pm

Right,

Thats why I tried doing. eBase on port 80, standalone on port 81. The problem is that the standalone admin server will not start on another port except 80 even though whatever port number I assign to it is not bound by any other application so I cannot use both at the same time.

Based on the server logs it seems as though no matter what port # I enter its always trying to bind to port 80 which is of course the port eBase is running on.

Again,

here's the server output:
SEVERE: Failed to initialize end point associated with ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-80"]
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind <null>:80
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint.bind(JIoEndpoint.java:413)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.init(AbstractEndpoint.java:649)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init(AbstractProtocol.java:434)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11JsseProtocol.init(AbstractHttp11JsseProtocol.java:119)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initInternal(Connector.java:978)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initInternal(StandardService.java:559)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initInternal(StandardServer.java:821)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:139)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Tomcat.start(Tomcat.java:339)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.designer.local.server.TomcatServerBootstrap.execute(TomcatServerBootstrap.java:111)
at com.ebasetech.ufs.designer.local.server.TomcatServerBootstrap.main(TomcatServerBootstrap.java:88)
Caused by: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
at java.net.TwoStacksPlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
at java.net.TwoStacksPlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.TwoStacksPlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultServerSocketFactory.java:49)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint.bind(JIoEndpoint.java:400)
... 13 more
0 x

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Postby dvanhussel » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:13 pm

Have you tried restarting the designer after changing the port number?

I can run the integrated server on 'any' port I like on my machine, but I have to restart the designer after making a change, for that change to take effect.
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Yes I did restart the designer. The admin server won't start on any other port.
0 x

dvanhussel
Ebase User

Postby dvanhussel » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:18 pm

Hmmm,then I'm afraid that I don't know what's wrong.

I'm sure that Ebasetech staff can help you :)
0 x

Segi
Ebase User

Postby Segi » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:21 pm

After restarting designer multiple times, I think that I've figured out the right settings to get it to work:

under File->Preferences->test Server tab

Use Integrated Local test Server

Use Port: DON'T CHOOSE THE PORT EBASE IS RUNNING ON NO MATTER WHAT THE INSTALLATION DOCUMENTATION SAYS!

Java Arguments: -Xmx512m -Xss1024k -Dhttp.nonProxyHosts="ebaseserverip" -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Ebase: You guys should clarify in the instructions. It currently says this:

Then select File > Preferences from the menu, select the Test Server tab and change the three properties under Use External Server to match your server. These are supplied with default values of Host name: localhost, Port: 3030, Web application name: ebasetest. These should be changed to match your server system. Then click OK

which led me to believe that you use the same port.
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi Segi,

The Ebase Server Admin application was shipped in the Beta in the default workspace (the workspace that was packaged).

If you point the server to a different workspace, then the server admin application will not work. You will need to copy the 'ebaseInternalServerAdmin' folder from the Workspace location we shipped to your workspace you have pointed the server to.

This has all been resolved in the next version and the server admin application will be hidden from the workspace you are working from, so the admin app will always be available.

As for selecting the servers from the designer preferences:

You have two choices:

1) Use Integration Local Test Server: This runs within the Ebase XI client and will start on the port specified or 'Find port dynamically' means that the client will find the next free port from 3050 available to start the server.

2) Use External Server: This is to point to your Ebase XI Server that is shipped separately (Located in the <ebaseXIDirectory>/UfsServer folder). You can specify the port and webapp name in the designer preferences to point to this.

There should be no need to change the port number of the integrated test server. This server is built into the client and used for testing the forms functionality without the need for an external server. I recommend leaving this set to dynamic.

I hope this helps

Steve
0 x