Understanding new Designer

Post any questions regarding Installing or Upgrading to V5, including problems starting and using the Ebase Server or Designer

Moderators: Jon, Steve, Ian, Dave

Segi
Ebase User

Understanding new Designer

Postby Segi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:40 pm

I have read the doc but am having a hard time understanding something with the designer after upgrading from 4.5.3 to 5 Beta (on a test server, not production).

I am in the Designer and have 4 folders in the tree:

ebaseInternalServerAdmin
ebaseSystemServices
ebaseTemplates
ebaseWorkflow

When I browse to ebaseXi\Workspace folder in the file system, I can see all of my existing 4.X projects that were imported during the upgrade but I can't see any of my exist projects,forms,resources etc in designer. Where should they be located ?

I also renamed development_tree.layout in case this was the problem before starting designer.

Update: I went through the entire process again and I can now see all of my projects. Something strange happened to my workspace during the first upgrade.
0 x

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:40 am

Maybe the upgrade failed the first because the supported java version was incorrect?

Do you still have the log from the first upgrade?
0 x

Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:19 am

Segi,

The four projects:

ebaseInternalServerAdmin
ebaseSystemServices
ebaseTemplates
ebaseWorkflow

are distributed in the workspace of the "full release" download which gives you a new system. When you do an upgrade you should end up with a workspace with all your projects plus ebaseInternalServerAdmin.

You can start the designer pointing to any workspace you like, even an empty folder. Similarly, you can change the server so that it points to any workspace - this is configured using the server admin app > properties > workspace. You can change these workspaces around as much as you like. The only requirement is that both designer and server point to the same workspace - this is very important, because you can get all kinds of weird results if they point to different workspaces.

When you use an "external" server (same as with V4) you have to make sure that the server workspace is the same as the designer. When you use the new "integrated" server, this is done for you automatically.

Regards
Jon
0 x